USB doesn't recognize camera device

Reaction score
My computer with Windows 10 no longer recognizes my Hero 3+ GoPro Camera, nor my Nikon D5100. I have looked for drivers, but to no avail. Any ideas for a work-a-round such that I can pull pictures/video off these devices and put on computer?

Thanks!

Reaction score
My computer with Windows 10 no longer recognizes my Hero 3+ GoPro Camera, nor my Nikon D5100. I have looked for drivers, but to no avail. Any ideas for a work-a-round such that I can pull pictures/video off these devices and put on computer?

Thanks!

I'm looking for help with this as well for a friend of mine who is now running Windows 10 and cannot get it to recognize a Nikon D3100. She is connecting it to the computer with a USB cord (no memory card reader) and the window comes up to prompt what she wants to do and when she clicks open folder to view files, nothing happens.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Reaction score
I have just spent two hours with GoPro support and trying to come up with a solution for this. I have a Hero3 and Hero4 Silver that no longer receive a USB connection. This is a Windows 10 issue! I checked both cameras with a recently updated Windows 10 updated laptop with new cables and new memory cards and it behaves like my desktop - No USB Connection. The Hero4 briefly shows a USB connection for two seconds and then drops back to live view. The Hero3 doesn't even get that far. All my machines have been updated to Windows 10 and the only way to update is manually and manually download pics. I'm thinking we have a fault in the Windows memory card driver. Anyone have any ideas???

Reaction score
i just purchased a surface pro 3 and also cannot pull images from my camera. both the wireless util and direct usb connect. As a photographer i purchased for use in field. Sad and stuck...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could this be another USB problem that needs a chipset driver installed before it works correctly for all connected devices.
Check with the Computer or Motherboard Manufacturer's website, For some reason it seems that some chipset drivers have to be reinstalled after the upgrade.

Reaction score

Thanks!

I am experiencing similar problems. I have 2 computers (a laptop and a desktop) which I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Both computers do not any longer recognize a camera (tried 2 different cameras) in any of the USB ports. On the desktop PC there are other USB ports in use, which works fine (keyboard, mouse, joy stick, and printer). Apparently the problem is specific for camera devices.
Does any one have an idea how to solve this problem? I also used Drive Booster 2 to update all drives, but the problem is still the same.

Reaction score
since I upgraded from 8.1 to Windows 10, when I plugged in my camera to upload my photos via usb cord, it would show that there were photos, on the card but then say it was empty. As a photographer, I needed this to work! I had to revert back to Windows 8.1 and it was fixed. I hated to do this because I really liked the 10 version, but I need to be able to upload via USB cord. :/
If anyone can help with this problem, please let me know!
https://www.facebook.com/lauraleephotography.net

Reaction score
The reviewer who stated that they disabled the camera in the device manager and restarted the computer has the solution. I attached the camera to the pc then disabled it in the device manager.and after the restart I enabled it and now my camera is recognized. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have reply just ?. Won't recognize that my memory card (camera) is in the drive. Keeps saying insert. it's inserted

Reaction score
Somewhere between a successful install of Windows 10 in July, 2015, and a few botched; but now resolved and installed Windows 10 November Service Pack, my Browning camera is no longer recognized as drive D via USB on my Surface Pro3. I have tried two different cables, different USB slots; and ensured that my default action to attached USB devices is to 'always ask me'. My camera is not listed under device manager so I can't use that solution. Since I installed Windows 10 in July, it always connected just find as drive D: which is all I want it to do. Now, it is not recognized in file explorer and I am not prompted as to what I want to do when I attach the camera via USB. Any help out there? Thanks.

Reaction score
This thread is all over the place - there are multiple issues going on. I solved my issue with the GoPro. I fould out that in Windows 10 the original cables with my GoPro's wouldn't work. GoPro worked with me and I solved the mystery. While trying to blame it on bad drivers it never made sense that other USB devices worked, until I realized that it was more or a USB2 and USB3 issue with cables that were 1st generation.
Ibought a pair of higher grade certified cables and have had no more issues. One thing you may find is a USB2 and above device may also drop down to USB mode when certain devices are plugged in, a high speed USB2 device will just not function. I keep a seperate USB3 card for high speed devices. Some motherboards will drop all the built in ports to your slowest device. So when trouble shooting this kind of issue, disconnect all other USB devices, reboot from a power off state and use a certified cable for the USB class of device you are using.

Hope this helps out!

Bif

Reaction score
Now that's just odd about the Hero 3!!...I have the original Hero (1) and was uber concerned with 10/GoPro not having a driver for this model being it's older,but much to my surprise when I plugged er in all was good..recognised it immediately!..go figure!
Now the caveat,I did have GoPro Studio installed prior to USB-ing the camera to the laptop..not sure if that had any significance on the outcome or not.

Reaction score
I had the same problem on a new win10 machine. Solved by changing USB cable.

To all the people who solved this issue by switching cables. Seriously? That is bullshit. I'm running the same hardware using the same cable that came with the camera. Are you telling me that by upgrading to Win 10 that the OS can't communicate with the device because of the cable? Worked fine in Win 7 no issues same hardware. I find it hard to believe that the issue is a different cord. I'm plugged into a usb 2 port on my mobo... I have usb 3 ports but i'm not using them (even tho it should work fine) because the hero 3 is not usb 3 certified. -_- seriously this is bullshit. Microsoft you need to patch this it's a driver issue. Any application that tries to access it hangs until I unplug the device. It's recognized it just doesn't know how to communicate with it. That screams driver to me

Reaction score
To all the people who solved this issue by switching cables. Seriously? That is bullshit. I'm running the same hardware using the same cable that came with the camera. Are you telling me that by upgrading to Win 10 that the OS can't communicate with the device because of the cable? Worked fine in Win 7 no issues same hardware. I find it hard to believe that the issue is a different cord. I'm plugged into a usb 2 port on my mobo... I have usb 3 ports but i'm not using them (even tho it should work fine) because the hero 3 is not usb 3 certified. -_- seriously this is bullshit. Microsoft you need to patch this it's a driver issue. Any application that tries to access it hangs until I unplug the device. It's recognized it just doesn't know how to communicate with it. That screams driver to me

So you're saying you tried it and it didn't work? or are you saying that you are neglecting to try it and just flogging everyone else for trying it and it working?

Reaction score
@Jon thank you. Stopped me thinking I'd made a huge mistake buying a go pro!
@Nick what can I say - it worked for me switching from a generic usb cable to the supplied gopro one. Seriously...

Reaction score

Thanks!
I had the same problem ,so instead of plugging into the hd connection i plugged into the tv connection just left of the other and the go pro program kicked right in.

Reaction score
Can someone please clarify the solution I just bought the gopro 5 black and it will not recognize on windows 10. I plug all the same hardware into a windows 7 computer and it comes up with no problem. I returned it to where I purchased it because I feel it is a compatability issue. If this is solve can someone please verify that on this forum and provide the required solution. I have read in this thread that just upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 the problem appears so the comments about the cable are hard to believe that it is a cable issue

Bif

Reaction score
I realise this isn't really solving the issue that you have, but have you tried Gopro customer service for any possible solutions? if this is truly a problem with connectivity they will surely know.
In the meantime, take you micro SD card out of the Gopro and insert it into your pc..

Ask a Question