SOLVED What is OpenAL?

Reaction score
I've just done the Anni update on my laptop. It went OK and my system is useable (although I can't see what is improved).

I was checking through the list of installed programs and I've noticed OpenAL is there - installed at the same time as the Anni update (yesterday). Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks

Alan

Reaction score
Alan OpenAl is a cross-platform audio application programming interface (API). It is designed for gamers that use 3D multi channel audio.
It's not for me, I'm not a gamer, but have to take whatever MS desires to push my way.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like it's used by a lot of games, and some hardware devices like Creative Audio cards, Go Pro devices, etc. mainly for enhanced 3D audio effects, whatever those are.

Reaction score
Trouble The 3D effects are deafness, headaches and structural damage. Generation X will all have severe hearing loss before they are 30 yrs.old.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just as long as they're having fun doing it, I suppose.
Someone has to keep the hearing aid companies in business, along with the eye glass / contact industry.

Reaction score
SO, it looks like when the Anni version was installed, it also re-installed a few apps. This one came with my Garmin installation. There are others also with the 22/8 install date as well.