Win 10 will not obey "display windows side by side" command

Reaction score
Hi all.

Windows 10 will not show windows side by side on right click Task Bar command.

In Windows 7 when I had 2 panels open and I wanted to display them side by side, I would go down to the task bar right click and select "Show Windows side by side"

Now after upgrading to windows 10 Pro when I do this I find that the panels are stacked one on top of another contrary to the instruction.

I then experimented with "Show windows stacked", and in fact that is what it does.

So now my problem is that Windows 10 will not display panels "side by side" when that function is selected.

Any idea?
Regards

Reaction score
Something is wrong with your Win 10.
Mine works as instructed........

windows side by side.jpg

Reaction score
How about running a system file check to look for corrupt files...... sfc /scannow.
Please post back if you need to know how to do system file check.

Reaction score
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to ask you to guide me thru that one please as at the moment my mind is blank.

Regards

Reaction score
How to do system file check..............

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this..... sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there.

The brain snapped back into gear and I did the scan.

No integrity violation found. I did a right click test run from the task bar, nothing changed. Still will not display side by side

Regards

Reaction score
I am not sure how effective this suggestion will be..... run the Reset option.

Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, select Recovery > right side, select Reset.

Reaction score
Hi David.

Thanks for that, however at this point of time I can live with this small problem.

Should I follow your suggestion I fear that I may cause more problems than at the moment I do not have. From what I have read in some forums, with this update people are experiencing a number of problems including video cameras not working, Wi-Fi printers are not working, keyboard problems and gadgets not working to list a few.

I do not have any of these problems. This is the only problem to show at present and to do a Recovery, is a major event, it's not like a Restore.

Regards

Reaction score
If you grab the top of the App, on your screen, an pull it over to the left, it will resize on the left side of your screen. Ditto for your second app.
But you need to switch on, in "Settings" - "System" - Multitasking, the features you see there.

To the best of my knowledge, although Davidhk appears to have been successful, the taskbar option for side by side no longer works, but I could be corrected.

Like yourself, I find this loss of a feature very annoying.

Reaction score
OK. My other laptop running Windows 10 Pro has the Side by Side option greyed out.
My Win 10 Home still has the option enabled as shown in my last reply.

Reaction score
If you grab the top of the App, on your screen, an pull it over to the left, it will resize on the left side of your screen. Ditto for your second app.
But you need to switch on, in "Settings" - "System" - Multitasking, the features you see there.

To the best of my knowledge, although Davidhk appears to have been successful, the taskbar option for side by side no longer works, but I could be corrected.

Like yourself, I find this loss of a feature very annoying.

Hi guys

Yes Dave I am aware of this and I have turned off some similar function. I can not remember exactly what I did but the windows are now completely free to move around anywhere and every I so want and the windows can be any size.

I really hate it when a well used function is removed for no apparent reason

This at least gives me half a vioctory.

Regards

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I use side-by-side, but they stack, so I have to manually move them and resize them. It's just annoying.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I use side-by-side, but they stack, so I have to manually move them and resize them. It's just annoying.

I tried it on my system. With 4 windows open and "Display side by side", they appear one in each quadrant. When I choose stacking, I get three above each other on the LH side of the screen and the 4th one on the RH side of the screen, the same sized window as the top one on the LH aide.

With 2 windows open, and choosing "side by side", they bot display on the LH side, one above the other. Same as "Stacked".

Something is broken.

The display is 2560 x 1440 one.

Reaction score
Not broken by accident though, broken by an overactive brain in Microsoft. It seems they have decided their new idea of moving with the mouse (touch, is the default, without an alternative.

Maybe the new generation would not agree, but I fell that Windows 10 is leaning far to much towards touch, rather than the mouse or keyboard gesture.

Reaction score
Mine will not show windows stacked, it will not display windows side by side, it will not cascade windows. What it does is minimize windows to the left side of my screen and stack them there. Totally not usable. Where is the old stack windows to fit your screen option? I use to stack windows and they resized to fit the available openings

Reaction score
Mine will not show windows stacked, it will not display windows side by side, it will not cascade windows. What it does is minimize windows to the left side of my screen and stack them there. Totally not usable. Where is the old stack windows to fit your screen option? I use to stack windows and they resized to fit the available openings
I believe Davehc is correct. I am not sure which update took away those options but they are gone even though you can still see the options in taskbar (right click). Davidhk129 posted prior to the latest version and it would be interesting to hear from him now but I doubt if he is available at this time.

Reaction score
hi folks me too, no side by side, what a pain, only stacking.
tried all the suggestions given, still zero, good old microsoft

Ask a Question