Windows 10 Automatic Repair Restart Loop

Reaction score
When I chose shut down I noticed the screen briefly froze up and then dimmed. Then I received a message that there is a problem with my computer and Windows 10 will repair. This process was to take an hour or so. I left the computer to do its work. In the morning when I returned the blue screen had a message reading "Automatic Repair, Your PS did not start correctly, press "Restart" to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press"Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC."

The Windows offered options to restore the Windows 10 operating system all end with this same screen. I did get to the HP diagnostic page and ran all their tests. It passed all the tests except the BIOS. The diagnostic could not get to the current BIOS settings. The other option was to restore the BIOS to an earlier version. I did that and it appeared to roll back the BIOS successfully. I also did a hard reset of the computer and then tried restarting. I ended just where I had started this morning with the blue Automatic Repair screen holding out promises of fixing the problem.

HELP, is there any way of getting out of this hijacked position? It appears the computer works fine but is blocked from operating by some problem with the Windows 10 operating system.

Reaction score
Assuming your Windows 10 was activated after install.
If it was not, don't use the method below.

1. You need to use and download the Win 10 ISO file, burn it to a bootable DVD or USB and use it to reinstall Windows 10.
Use this link to download ISO:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
When you start running the Tool, select Create installation media for another PC option.
That will start downloading the iso file.

2. You might need to go to the Bios and change the boot sequence to CD/DVD or USB, depending which bootable media you are going to use.
Then insert the media > restart the computer.
That should begin reinstalling your Windows 10.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will follow the instructions above and report on the results.
I did all the above. I get a purple screen it appears to begin to install. I skip the product key because this is an upgrade from Windows 7 Premium on the same machine. That is the OS that came pre-installed on the machine. It takes me to the licence agreement. I accept and continue. Now I get a message to shut down the computer and restart then insert the USB drive and follow the prompts to re-install Windows 10. This throws me back into the previous loop of blue screens with friendly helpful suggestions that all lead to the same blue screen "your PC did not start correctly". The flow chart looks like this, Restart, all options to Automatic Repair, or Advanced Options, a longer path back to Automatic Repair.

I think there is a conflict in code instructions. When the computer is starting up two things are observable, one at the bottom left soon after the start up process begins a message flashes "press esc to get hp menu. This works the esc key will bring up this menu and for a while you can navigate it using the arrow keys. If the screen is not used it will lock up and you have to use the on off button on the machine to get out. Later in the start up sequence there flashes a rectangular window frame for a fraction of a second. Soon after this event all stops at the blue screen with Automatic Repair, Your PC did not start correctly.

Any suggestions anyone?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It passed all the tests except the BIOS. The diagnostic could not get to the current BIOS settings. The other option was to restore the BIOS to an earlier version. I did that and it appeared to roll back the BIOS successfully
Did you subsequently then..... run the test again??

Reaction score
I was similarly stuck in an Automatic Repair loop several weeks after installing Windows 10, and tried many of the suggested fix options, including System Reset and System Restore, none of which worked. Finally, I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact title) and it worked. The computer started up fine after that, and none if my data was lost.

Reaction score
Attached is some more detail about the solution that worked for me. Posters in another thread asked for more details about my post.

As described in the initial post of the thread, when I tried to boot the computer, an Automatic Repair screen runs, then a Diagnosing PC screen. The Repair/Diagnosis fails and I end up on a blue screen that says the problem couldn't be diagnosed and provides options to "Restart Computer" (which just leads into the same loop) or "Advanced Options." I hit "Advanced Options", then "Troubleshoot", then another "Advanced Options", then "Startup Settings" (on this screen there are also options for "Reset System", "Restore Previous Build" and others, all of which failed), then "Restart", then (finally) "Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection". Once I hit this, the computer started fine, and I was able to view all my files and apps and use the computer. However, when I shut down, the problem occurred again, so I had to run through all the same selections again. After that, I uninstalled my virus/security software (Norton 360) and the computer came on without issue, so it seems like the virus/security software may be the issue for me. I have not yet tried to reinstall the virus/security software.

Reaction score
Attached is some more detail about the solution that worked for me. Posters in another thread asked for more details about my post.

As described in the initial post of the thread, when I tried to boot the computer, an Automatic Repair screen runs, then a Diagnosing PC screen. The Repair/Diagnosis fails and I end up on a blue screen that says the problem couldn't be diagnosed and provides options to "Restart Computer" (which just leads into the same loop) or "Advanced Options." I hit "Advanced Options", then "Troubleshoot", then another "Advanced Options", then "Startup Settings" (on this screen there are also options for "Reset System", "Restore Previous Build" and others, all of which failed), then "Restart", then (finally) "Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection". Once I hit this, the computer started fine, and I was able to view all my files and apps and use the computer. However, when I shut down, the problem occurred again, so I had to run through all the same selections again. After that, I uninstalled my virus/security software (Norton 360) and the computer came on without issue, so it seems like the virus/security software may be the issue for me. I have not yet tried to reinstall the virus/security software.

I get to the Startup Settings, the hit restart and it sends me back to the repair loop without having an option to disable anything or even another menu. Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Hi hope everyones well, im a have a small issue with windows 10 pro i just installed windows 10 pro 64bit and done a clean installation and once completed my first software installed was bitdefender insternet security 2016 and done a restart when asked and led to a diagnostic loop which i cant get back to my desktop can anyone please hep with this problem im happy to give further information regarding the problem

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi hope everyones well, im a have a small issue with windows 10 pro i just installed windows 10 pro 64bit and done a clean installation and once completed my first software installed was bitdefender insternet security 2016 and done a restart when asked and led to a diagnostic loop which i cant get back to my desktop can anyone please hep with this problem im happy to give further information regarding the problem
Try booting back to the installation media.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. From where you might try a System Restore, or you might try Startup Setting to see if you can boot into safe mode.
OR
You might wait and see what the diagnostic process produces. The last time that happened to me, I think it took almost 4 hours for that part to finish and then another 4 for a "restore" which is evidently what the diagnostic process decided it needed.

Reaction score
I have similar problems after installing the update (more like forced into installing it, or almost tricked as I kept avoiding it until I finally accidentally hit the wrong button). Anyways, it installed and then my printer/scanner did not work with the computer anymore. I tried to fix that and somehow started getting the dreaded blue page loops. I asked it to restore to a previous time and that did not seem to make things any better. Finally I went from Costco (where I got my HP computer, to Microsoft and then to HP). HP had me do diagnostics and determined that the Short something or other hard drive test failed. They said I need a new hard drive. I know hard drives fail and that is fine, but I think it is just too much of a coincidence that it happens right after the windows 10 update. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Try booting back to the installation media.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. From where you might try a System Restore, or you might try Startup Setting to see if you can boot into safe mode.
OR
You might wait and see what the diagnostic process produces. The last time that happened to me, I think it took almost 4 hours for that part to finish and then another 4 for a "restore" which is evidently what the diagnostic process decided it needed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
HP had me do diagnostics and determined that the Short something or other hard drive test failed. They said I need a new hard drive. I know hard drives fail and that is fine, but I think it is just too much of a coincidence that it happens right after the windows 10 update. Any thoughts?
Nope..... you're absolutely correct when you say "I know hard drives fail".
AND
IF HP says it failed the short test and didn't even bother with the long test then it likely did and you'll need a new one.
Installing a new operating system, which in essence is what upgrading from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10 or even upgrading Windows 10 from 10240 to 10586 is, can be very taxing on a hard drive, especially if one is already marginal. It's likely to take it over the edge.

Reaction score
This has been my experience with automatic repair loop.
1. My computer had automatic repair loop issue
2. I burnt an iso, formatted my drives and did a clean install of windows 10
3. A week later the pc showed the automatic repair loop message again
4. I called Microsoft Support where they denied all accountability stating my computer was not compatible with windows 10.
5. I installed the original OS windows 8.1 (the serial key is not on the pc as it's in the bios) - computer is working fine.
6. See screenshots - I get constant popups when I start my pc telling me to install windows 10 and that my computer is compatible.
7. I will buy a mac next time
windows compatibility 2.jpg
windows compatibility.jpg

Reaction score
I was similarly stuck in an Automatic Repair loop several weeks after installing Windows 10, and tried many of the suggested fix options, including System Reset and System Restore, none of which worked. Finally, I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact title) and it worked. The computer started up fine after that, and none if my data was lost.

Thank you very much. The advice you gave worked immediately.

Reaction score
I have discovered on my newer Dell's that I need to go in and change the boot settings. It worked when I changed to UEFI Secure boot off. Somehow secure boot does not like what Symantec is trying to do when booting.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. The advice you gave worked immediately.
Please... how did you do that? The only screen I see with "disable early-launch anti-malware protection" is the one that say I need to reboot in order to disable early-launch anti-malware protection. When I hit the restart button, the whole loop starts over.

I can get to the command prompt (eventually). Is there anyway to turn off this crap from the command line?

I can't even trick the boot process to get to my DVD drive.

I can't afford to lose the data on this machine! It is imperative I get past this insane recovery process.

Looks like Microsoft is going to protect me to death.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Please... how did you do that? The only screen I see with "disable early-launch anti-malware protection" is the one that say I need to reboot in order to disable early-launch anti-malware protection. When I hit the restart button, the whole loop starts over.

I can get to the command prompt (eventually). Is there anyway to turn off this crap from the command line?

I can't afford to lose the data on this machine! It is imperative I get past this insane recovery process.

Looks like Microsoft is going to protect me to death.

I have the same issue. It just refuses to disable the anti map warehouse thing, instead rebooting.

HELP?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to "trick" your BIOS. If you are having trouble evoking the BIOS Boot Menu to select the optical drive as your option, then.....
You should be able to enter the System Setup Utility BIOS and set your boot device selection option to your optical drive as number one and your hard disk to number two.
Afterward you should see a message during post to "hit any key to boot from CD/DVD"

Ask a Question