Windows 10 FAIL Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver Won't Load

Reaction score
I am very frustrated right now. We are a few months into the Windows 10 rollout. From the moment of the rollout, I was hesitant to upgrade, because of past bad experiences with this kind of thing. However, I let my good judgment be over-run by not wanting to be left behind when the world moved forward. So I took the plunge.

Audio worked perfectly in Windows 7, but now in Windows 10, it fails.

The compatibility software told me that everything was going to work properly - after the upgrade, but it lied to me. Since the upgrade, I have tried everything to get the sound to work on my computer. Nothing works since the upgrade. I've tried loading old drivers, looking at the Realtek website, looking at the motherboard (where the sound card is located) manufacturer - no Windows 10 drivers. I've also tried to load the WIndows 10 generic audio drivers, and they don't work either.

When Windows Update runs, it appears that the driver is there, and it downloads to my computer (but where, I don't know). Then, when it tries to install, it fails. I get error messages that don't tell me anything specifically, and when I run them on Google, I get a list of meaningless things to try - none of which works. "• Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Other hardware - Realtek AC'97 Audio - Error 0x800f0203".

The manufacturer of the sound card and motherboard haven't posted any updated drivers.

So I went out and found a PCI sound card - a generic Soundblaster. Surely, that would work. Nope. No compatible drivers there, either.

So Microsoft - it appears you have sabbotaged my computer system to make me buy another and upgrade all of my applications. No, I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'm going to be a deaf computer user - because you have put me into this position. There apparently are no fixes to this problem. Nothing useful appears in a Google search of the subject or a Bing search, either.

Anyone have any ideas?? This really stinks. Nothing seems to work since upgrading to Windows 10. Why did it say that there was no compatibility problem if this one is so obvious and profound?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You are complaining about the lack of support for audio that has been antiquated for 10 years. You should feel lucky about getting anything 10 years old to function, not complain about it lack of functionality in a new OS. You speak of not wanting to be left behind with regard to the OS, but that is exactly what has happened with regard to your hardware. I hate sounding like an asshole, but you have put anyone in this position that might respond to your submission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_High_Definition_Audio
Intel High Definition Audio (also called HD Audio or Azalia) is a specification for the audio sub-system of personal computers. It was released by Intel in 2004 as successor to their AC'97 PC audio standard. During development it had the codename "Azalia".
If you are not willing to bring your hardware up to a level that will work with Windows 10, you should go back to Windows 7. There is nothing wrong with Windows 7, it is still being supported by MS to an extent. In fact I am still using Win7 on my main machine. I have yet to make the decision to completely move forward myself.

Reaction score
Reaction score
You are complaining about the lack of support for audio that has been antiquated for 10 years. You should feel lucky about getting anything 10 years old to function, not complain about it lack of functionality in a new OS. You speak of not wanting to be left behind with regard to the OS, but that is exactly what has happened with regard to your hardware. I hate sounding like an asshole, but you have put anyone in this position that might respond to your submission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_High_Definition_Audio

If you are not willing to bring your hardware up to a level that will work with Windows 10, you should go back to Windows 7. There is nothing wrong with Windows 7, it is still being supported by MS to an extent. In fact I am still using Win7 on my main machine. I have yet to make the decision to completely move forward myself.

i disagree about your statement about 10 year old hardware.
i have install and am running windows 10 pro on several old desktops from 2005 and some also have realtek audio on them and i have not had any problem getting any of them to work. yes i also have brand new home built desktops also. the only problems that i have run into is with certain ati/amd graphics cards but have since solved that problem. just my own opinion from my own experience with 10 year old hardware.

got to love the opinions.
life is good.
the poorguy

Reaction score
i have install and am running windows 10 pro on several old desktops from 2005
I didn't say you couldn't or shouldn't try. I meant you shouldn't complain about lack of support with such systems should you run into problems. And if you did manage not to run into complications, you should think of yourself as lucky.

Reaction score
i understand although i did complain and bitch about ati / amd driver issues on some legacy cards when i was having my share of problems with them.

i salvage lots of old desktops to donate and that is why i bother with them and sometimes i do get frustrated but i can for the most part find some solution. i do have to admit that installing linux on older desktops does give most of them extended life and for what my purpose is with them it makes them able to be used again for a while longer. i was surprised how well windows 10 works on alot of them as they are as old.

the poorguy

Reaction score
The problem I've run into is Microsoft insists they've installed the rightest most accurate wonderfullest bestest driver ever and will not let me make the mistake I'd prefer to make. If they'd allow me to make my mistake I could get on with my surround sound. Clifford, to me you sure sounded like something you were trying to avoid sounding like. I could be wrong but the poor guy had to have been fighting with a problem mega bucks people like you can spend your way out of.

Reaction score
The problem I've run into is Microsoft insists they've installed the rightest most accurate wonderfullest bestest driver ever and will not let me make the mistake I'd prefer to make.
I'm fairly certain available drivers are managed by the manufacturer of the device. Microsoft will host drivers presented by manufacturers, meant to be used through Windows Update.

If they'd allow me to make my mistake I could get on with my surround sound.
I will agree with you to a point. Some people need to be catered to. Microsoft's problem is thinking everyone needs catering.

Clifford, to me you sure sounded like something you were trying to avoid sounding like.
I won't deny that. I remember making these post and to be honest I wasn't trying to be nice. Makes me wonder how many people complain, because they can no longer play their SNES games on an NES.

I could be wrong but the poor guy had to have been fighting with a problem mega bucks people like you can spend your way out of.
You really should know people first, before you assume to know them.

Reaction score
Realtek is horrible. I've made sure the last two motherboards I've purchased had VIA onboard sound. And I can tell you, OP, that not only will soundblaster drivers not work with Windows 10, the won't work with Windows 8 either.

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain available drivers are managed by the manufacturer of the device. Microsoft will host drivers presented by manufacturers, meant to be used through Windows Update.

I will agree with you to a point. Some people need to be catered to. Microsoft's problem is thinking everyone needs catering.

I won't deny that. I remember making these post and to be honest I wasn't trying to be nice. Makes me wonder how many people complain, because they can no longer play their SNES games on an NES.

You really should know people first, before you assume to know them.

After quarter century or so on the internet think I know enough to add you to my ignore list.

Reaction score
I got my old Realtek hardware work after tweaking back and forth between the Win10 and new Realtek drivers. There is a sequence of uninstall, reinstall of Win 10 and Realtek software I had to follow upon before and after startup as the Realtek software will not be cooperated with by Win10 left to its own natural decisions. After several restarts Yay!! 5.1 in all it's glory! I found the information how to do this by browsing around.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After quarter century or so on the internet think I know enough to add you to my ignore list.
Well you certainly didn't have to add my name to your comment if you didn't want to hear what I had to say either did you. You must be very short tempered to jump to that conclusion so soon. Be my guest I don't care, this whole topic is pathetic.

Ask a Question