Windows 10 ISO only downloads 119MB from TechBench

Reaction score
Saw that supposed to be able to download the Win10 ISO from Windows TechBench
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...60526_WIN-01_114&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2_3

After selecting Win10 English 64bit, it starts to download a 4GB ISO, but completes the download after only 119MB
I tried on another computer and same result, only took a couple of minutes to get the 119MB and download thinks it's complete.

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just took a look at the site.

Its servers are somewhat overloaded at the moment and running slow as a result.

You may just have to try at a time when their server is less overloaded with download requests.

The only other variable to consider is whether your own ISP has a monthly datacap limit for your account. Perhaps you have exceeded this.

Right now their server is sending 0.1 % of a GB every couple of minutes. I'll leave it running to see whether it halts at the 119 MB mark but I can assure you those downloads of yours are not complete. I'll report back later on progress.

Note: With such a poor download rate its highly probably any successful download could be corrupted anyway.

You can also get the image here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Note: That bit en-in means English International languge pack is included with ISO. Their server may automatically detect your language preference and re-direct the above link to one matching your current set up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just finished the download "Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us_14342.iso" in approximately an hour and a half. That was about a 1MB/s rate which our rated speed. I'm not trying to suggest you are not having issues, just mentioning I wasn't.

Reaction score
The file that only downloads ~119MB (tried today, same result) is Win10_1511_1_English_x64.iso
That's when I select Windows 10 English, 64-bit
If I select Windows 10 N English it starts downloading Win10_1511_1_N_English_x64.iso which is currently at 1GB of 3.9GB at 500KB/s
It appears to be a glitch with selecting Windows 10 English 64-bit

I don't know at the moment what the difference between the 2 files, it just looked like I should have selected Win 10 English which is the first one offered.
Drop down gives these choices:
Windows 10
Windows 10 KN
Windows 10 N
Windows 10 Single Language

Regedit32

Reaction score
The European Commission of 2004 took on Microsoft for anti-competitive behaviour and one a legal battle.

The result of that is the Windows 10 N and KN versions which by law Microsoft must provide:
  • Windows 10 N is for Europe
  • Windows 10 KN is for South Korea

The N edition contains no multimedia content at all. Multimedia support is removed and those wanting it would then have to manually go get it later.

The KN edition combines N's no multimedia support but also adds links to competitor messaging services, where prior to 2004 all links went only to Microsoft products. Again you'd need to choose yourself whether you wanted MS products then download manually for yourself and install.

• The Windows 10 option will scan your system confirming your current System Windows OS and when installing will install the matching OS (i.e. if you have Windows 7 Home, it will give you Windows 10 Home etcetera).
  • The Windows 10 Single Language edition name says it all really. One language installed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the different ISOs.
I'd tried the techbench option in additon to media creation tool just b/c they're both supposed to work.
For me techbench didn't.
I've got what I need via media creation tool.
Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Anyone knows if the quote below indicates something related to the type of download?

"Make sure to download both 32-bit and 64-bit images and the languages you'll need for your retail location."

Could the smaller file be a download utility and not the actual .iso?

Ask a Question