Windows 10 stuck in Automatic repair loop

Reaction score
Hi,
I have upgraded from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 The upgrade went well and i was able to use my computer initially. After i restarted my computer, i am stuck in Automatic repair loop.

I have downloaded a copy of windows 10 iso image and made a windows 10 USB boot drive. I tried repairing the startup issue as suggested in some of the forums but no joy.

Its a new PC setup three months ago. Sad there was no hardware or app compatibility check before upgrading.

Config: Intel I7 with 16GB RAM. dual boot with Ubuntu.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Vivek

Reaction score
I was similarly stuck in an Automatic Repair loop several weeks after installing Windows 10, and tried many of the suggested fix options, including System Reset and System Restore, none of which worked. Finally, I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact title) and it worked. The computer started up fine after that, and none if my data was lost.

Reaction score
Attached is some more detail about the solution that worked for me. Posters in another thread asked for more details about my post.

As described in the initial post of the thread, when I tried to boot the computer, an Automatic Repair screen runs, then a Diagnosing PC screen. The Repair/Diagnosis fails and I end up on a blue screen that says the problem couldn't be diagnosed and provides options to "Restart Computer" (which just leads into the same loop) or "Advanced Options." I hit "Advanced Options", then "Troubleshoot", then another "Advanced Options", then "Startup Settings" (on this screen there are also options for "Reset System", "Restore Previous Build" and others, all of which failed), then "Restart", then (finally) "Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection". Once I hit this, the computer started fine, and I was able to view all my files and apps and use the computer. However, when I shut down, the problem occurred again, so I had to run through all the same selections again. After that, I uninstalled my virus/security software (Norton 360) and the computer came on without issue, so it seems like the virus/security software may be the issue for me. I have not yet tried to reinstall the virus/security software.

Reaction score
I get to the Startup Settings, then hit restart and it sends me back to the repair loop without having an option to disable anything or even another menu. Any Ideas?

Reaction score
I fixed mine:
Press F2 and then the power button, keeping F2 pressed until the BIOS screen appears. In the BIOS I disabled the 'Secure Boot' option and restarted. This was on my ASUS X75VC

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that Malcolm and welcome to the forum.
Much appreciated and glad you found a technique that worked for you.

Reaction score
Interesting to read some have had success getting out of this loop. My password is always rejected even though I know it to be correct. My tech support has also failed to get my hard drive to release my data. Well done Windows you have finally convinced me to go to Apple. Something I never thought I would do. I have told everyone I know not to load windows 10. Normally I wouldn't have got sucked in to the invitation to 'upgrade' and I am sorely sorry I did.

Moe

Reaction score
I am having the same problem as it seems millions of others on the Internet. I have tried everything I have seen suggested here and elsewhere and am stuck.

I tried Go back to previous build - we ran into a problem and won't be able ....
I try a reset PC - there was a problem resetting your PC .....

I tried the power plug and F2 as suggested above - nothing

I went into startup settings on the advanced options troubleshoot and tried all the options including the one Joe T gave above and all fail or do nothing.

A lot of solutions on the Internet say to go to task manager or the start menu but that is of no use to me as I can't get to either.

I am at a real loss and looking for any other ideas please!

Reaction score
I am having the same issues. Just got my laptop Jan 6th. I have tried everything posted here except removing my security software. Still searching for answers.

Reaction score
I am having the same issues. Just got my laptop Jan 6th. I have tried everything posted here except removing my security software. Still searching for answers.
We had a similar problem with our Hp Pavilion with Win 10. We were able to perform a factory reset with success. After a number of failures and resets, it turned out that the download of Norton Security was the culprit and after the last download we were able to return to a restore point just before the installation of Norton and the computer worked. I would definitely remove the security software entirely. What security product to use is still a question.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting...... and thanks for sharing VirginiaGuy.
Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
I have an HP Dv6 laptop here that belongs to a friend of mine which is the same as my own. Mine runs fine, but hers is stuck in that endless boot loop so frustrating to so many of us. Yes, Windows 10 which was originally upgraded from Win 7. That ran fine, by the way. It has 8 GB of RAM and a DVD drive. It was stuck in the endless 'repair' loop, but I did manage to get it out of that by disabling the early launch of malware option. it will boot to the desktop, but continually reboots in just about every 10 minutes or so. It has not had any OS updates installed since the middle of July 2016. I can't get it to update at all because after Windows Update is chosen, it begins the search for update and even said updates were available at one point, but can't download any because it gets interrupted with a reboot. Then you are back to step one. Quite frequently it also gives me a BSOD with various error messages, says it's collecting info to self-repair, reboots and goes back to the desktop again. It will boot into Safe mode. I tried it to see. I've done several things posted here trying to fix it, but nothing works. i even edited the registry to get rid of an imagepath thing, or something very similar to that. I lost the Quick Launch tray with that and some desktop icons, but i can fix those once I get it to run right. My friend has EmpireAccess for her ISP and has DSL out in the country- not a good combo. I'm on cable here and had hoped the faster connection would help, but no dice so far. One other thing I've noticed; whenever I plug in a USB mouse, Device Manager shows a device input error and won't let the mouse work, so I've removed it and am just using the mouse pad. I know I'm probably missing posting something important, but at 80 years of age it's easier to forget than it is to remember- sometimes. :) Here's hoping one of you geniuses can help me get this HP to run like it should, and many, many thanks!
Ron Kelly

Reaction score
I fixed mine:
Press F2 and then the power button, keeping F2 pressed until the BIOS screen appears. In the BIOS I disabled the 'Secure Boot' option and restarted. This was on my ASUS X75VC
Thanks a lot. This method seemed to solve the problem on my Asus Zenbook Pro :) I purchased this PC with McAfee anti-virus pre-installed, but I tried to install Norton 360 instead - which started the error loops on the PC. Now, it seems that the PC works with Norton installed and McAfee removed.

Last edited:

Ask a Question