Windows 10 wake on LAN

Reaction score
Running build 10130 I'm unable to get wake on LAN working under Windows 10. All settings appear to be identical to what they were in Windows 7 (everywhere I know to look), but while it worked fine under 7 the PC simply will not boot from a magic packet on 10.

I've checked WOL settings in BIOS. Still enabled.
I've checked magic packet settings in NIC properties. They're still enabled.
Running most recent Realtek drivers.
Fast startup is disabled, per a forum post I read regarding Win8.1 (WOL wasn't working with this enabled either).

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?
Nope, it sounds like you've hit all the usual suspects.
I suspect it is more an issue with the Preview Build and would suggest that you perhaps consider upgrading to the most current build 10162.
You can get the ISO from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
And perform an upgrade from that by mounting the ISO and running Setup.exe from it, within 10130.
I'm not sure that, that will help with your issue but it is certainly worth trying and I understand that it is Microsoft's intention to release 10162 to the Slow Ring sometime early this week anyway.

There may still be some niggling issues with this latest build but from what I can tell everything about the OS is improving with each subsequent build.

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm having the same problem.
tried for several weeks now.
did exactly what you did, plus a LOT more.

now tried with 10162, no luck yet.

I'm running a lenovo 71mg

I figured out... one way, and one way only, is to use sleep, instead of "power off"

also pulling the plug, activates the lan port when connected. but that is not a resolution.

it has to do with the power state the computer is set to, when "power off".

maybe microsoft can make a quick "fix"? :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like you've both pretty well covered you bases so one more thing....
Device Manger, Network adapters, Your network adapter(s).... Right click, properties, Power Management Tab, Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Makes sense that if it's "turned off" it wouldn't be able to respond to magic packets.
As I said earlier, I suspect that it has more to do with Windows 10 than your hardware or settings.
I know that they have been working on and reworking the Networking APIs.
http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/07/02/networking-api-improvements-in-windows-10/
So I suppose there is some buttoning up and finalizing they need to do yet.

Reaction score
Hi, i'm running build 10240 aka RTM and i have the same problem, checked all the settings and according to them all should work. i have done the same troubleshooting as the posters before.
so has anyone got the wol function to work?

BTW my motherboard is a msi with all the powersave functions disabled.

Reaction score
Same problem here (windows 10 RTM) , working only in sleep mode, but when i shutdown it, no way to wake up

All parameters configured as usual (network card : Realtek PCIe GBE Familly controller)

Drivers problems or windows problem ?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I've checked the NIC after shutdown and there are no lights on at all. Checked it with a multi-meter and there is no power at all. The bios is configured correctly with wake on PCIe enabled. Fast startup is disabled, turned off power management for the network card, wake on magic packet is enabled. These settings worked fine on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 (minus the fast startup for Windows 7). I've tried 10 from upgrade and from fresh install, does the same thing in both cases.

The one thing I am noticing is the driver is very new. The NIC is a Realtek RTL8168E which is several years old and the driver I was using was at least a year old. This driver is from 4/1/2015 (guessing this included compatibility updates for Windows 10), version is 9.1.401.2015, digital signer was Microsoft, in details tab the provider property value is Realtek. So this is a newer driver provided to Microsoft by Realtek most likely to address Windows 10 compatibility. When I go to the Realtek website for this series of NIC (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) there is no entry for a Windows 10 driver though there are newer drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 than the one installed with Windows 10.

I am going to download the newer driver for Windows 8.1 and install it in compatibility mode. I will report back with my findings.

Reaction score
So I installed the driver in compatibility mode. The driver on Realtek's website was listed as released on 5/27/2015 but the version is older than the one installed with Windows 10 and the driver date is 1/15/2015 where the Windows 10 driver is from 4/1/2015.

This resolved the issue! The newer driver Microsoft is providing with the Windows 10 installation is somehow causing an issue with WoL.

Hope this information has helped someone.

Reaction score
So I installed the driver in compatibility mode. The driver on Realtek's website was listed as released on 5/27/2015 but the version is older than the one installed with Windows 10 and the driver date is 1/15/2015 where the Windows 10 driver is from 4/1/2015.

This resolved the issue! The newer driver Microsoft is providing with the Windows 10 installation is somehow causing an issue with WoL.

i had to do the same thing but i had to download a slightly older driver from msi, since i already tested the newest driver from realtek and it didn't work

Reaction score
Weird. When I checked the never driver information is says the publisher was Realtek and signed by Microsoft (par for the course), but it seems odd that so many people are having this issue. Then again, every forum I've read on the issue (where the NIC type was mentioned) has been a Realtek.

I'm thinking Realtek provided Microsoft a janky driver or the driver isn't provided by Realtek at all and the Windows 10 driver was created by Microsoft under authorization by Realtek.

Reaction score

Great will test this tomorrow ! Keep you updated.

Thanks for your help ;-)

Reaction score
WOL with computer off worked for me (network card still active after power off with orange led) with the drivers from realtek (dated 4/1/2015)

Thanks !!!

Reaction score
Same problem - after upgrade to Windows 10, no WOL. I downloaded the Realtek driver for Windows 8. I started the installer without compatibility mode, and it showed the Modify, Repair, Remove selections. I selected Repair. Works again! And I fixed this over remote desktop after I had someone power on the computer for me. I could see that an older version was installed in Device Manager. Thanks to ShriekMau!

Reaction score
I had the same problem with WOL for "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" not working after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. A clean install of 10 did not fix the issue either. Finally downgrading the network interface driver to an older version fixed the issue. My motherboard is a Biostar H77MU3, so I downloaded the NIC driver listed on Biostar's website for my motherboard and poof, magically working again. The NIC driver version is v 8.20.815.2013 (dated 8/15/2013).

Reaction score
I fixed by setting "Allow device to wake computer" and "Only allow magic packet" in Device Manager for the network adapter.
Might have been set this way during setup -- I remember saying to accept "Express Settings" or something like that...
I have the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller", and upgraded from Win7 Pro.
see screenshot attached

Attachments

• win10_wol_setting.png
    win10_wol_setting.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,884
Reaction score
Realtek has a new driver for Windows 10 that fixed this issue : here :)
It even has a "power options" tab in the driver properties.

Ask a Question