Windows 10 Won't Wake Up From Sleep

Reaction score
I downloaded windows 10 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. However, every time I shut my computer, it's supposed to go into sleep mode from which a shake of the mouse will wake it. It is indeed going to sleep, but I can't wake it through any interaction with the mouse or keyboard. The power light is still on, indicating that the computer is sleeping, but I can't get it to wake up. I have had to hold the power button to turn it off and then on and I'm pretty sure that's terrible for my computer to not shut down properly. Everything was fine while I had windows 8.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yeah...laptops don't have a reset button. You might want to do a system restore and keep all your files. There seems to be plenty of upgraders doing that and seems to correct there issues.

Reaction score
I am having this same problem with my laptop ever since upgrading to windows 10. Is there any other way to fix this problem without doing the system restore? I attempted what I think was a system restore and it said I would have to reinstall most of my programs and I would not be able to go back to windows 8.1

Reaction score
I downloaded windows 10 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. However, every time I shut my computer, it's supposed to go into sleep mode from which a shake of the mouse will wake it. It is indeed going to sleep, but I can't wake it through any interaction with the mouse or keyboard. The power light is still on, indicating that the computer is sleeping, but I can't get it to wake up. I have had to hold the power button to turn it off and then on and I'm pretty sure that's terrible for my computer to not shut down properly. Everything was fine while I had windows 8.

I have the same problem with my Lenovo laptop, after playing around and getting no where I found that it worked fine when on battery and not when plugged in to the mains, give it a try it might work for you too.

Reaction score
I may have the answer. Go Settings, System and then Power and Sleep, then Additional Power Settings. Will probably show Balanced, click on change plan settings. Assume we've all opted for computer never turning off the display and never going to sleep. Now click on Change Advanced Power Settings, click on Hard Disk. My computer had been set, by default, to turn the Hard Disk off after 20 minutes. Now changed it to 180 minutes

Reaction score
I tried Maarm's fix, except I set the hard disk turn off to "never". To find "never", scroll down below 1 minute. I don't know if it works yet.

Reaction score
I've had the same problem.. I tried upgrading my graphics card, like it was mentioned somewhere and I have also tried what Maarm mentioned above, it doesn't work for me..

Reaction score
I have an HP Pavilion 15 that's still under guarantee and less than a year old, and after the Windows 10 upgrade it's had a sleep crash where nothing but a hard press power down shuts down the PC. This isn't good for my PC health and it has been heating up faster recently.
I've tried updating all my drivers, and installing any other available updates. I've also messed around with all the sleep and power settings but so far my problem isn't solved. I really do hope Windows releases a fix for this sleep crash soon.
I don't want to reset my PC because I'm afraid of losing important apps and for some reason Windows has deleted data for my previous build so I can't revert back to Windows 8.1 either. I also don't see a Refresh Windows option in my settings that would let me preserve apps/settings/personal files when reinstalling Windows. Neither does my laptop show a system restore point before Windows 10 upgrade.
Is there anyway to at least temporarily solve this issue that would let me keep all my apps and files?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried Maarm's fix, except I set the hard disk turn off to "never". To find "never", scroll down below 1 minute. I don't know if it works yet.
Nope. It didn't work. Now I get to choose among never letting the display turn off, doing a cold reboot every time, or going back to Windows 7.

Reaction score
My problems happened when the computer lid was closed. I went into the power settings, went to advanced settings of my power settings and changed the setting for "what happens when I close my lid or hit my power button." Change the settings for with plug and with battery from Sleep to Hibernate. Sleep has always caused problems with my computer. With that setting, when I reopen my lid, instead of not having a responsive computer, I hit the power button and it turns back on and goes right back to where I was.

Reaction score
The plot thickens. I reverted to Windows 7 (not using system restore, but the button in Win 10 that allows reversion within a month of upgrading). Then I went to the Dell site to check for driver and other updates. Dell analyzed my system and said it was not compatible with Windows 10! When I first did the upgrade, though, Microsoft clearly showed that my device was compatible.

Reaction score

Reaction score
The fault is the sleep option fails and crashes your computer when woken up. You might discover the virus checker has also been disabled !
You computer's power-key [in the start menu] needs a popup menu with ' Hibernate' 'Shut Down' and 'Restart'.

1. Click starts > settings > system

2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.

3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.

When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.

When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'

7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'

8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid

9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];

Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.

Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options

Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.

Don't forget to OK before closing the process.

Power option key 'sleep' has now been removed and Hibernate installed.
Your computer should no longer crash to a black screen.
:D
The start>power key now uses Hibernate, Shut Down or Restart.

Reaction score
The fault is the sleep option fails and crashes your computer when woken up. You might discover the virus checker has also been disabled !
You computer's power-key [in the start menu] needs a popup menu with ' Hibernate' 'Shut Down' and 'Restart'.

1. Click starts > settings > system

2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.

3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.

When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.

When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'

7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'

8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid

9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];

Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.

Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options

Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.

Don't forget to OK before closing the process.

Power option key 'sleep' has now been removed and Hibernate installed.
Your computer should no longer crash to a black screen.
:D
The start>power key now uses Hibernate, Shut Down or Restart.

I've been looking for a solution to this since updating to Windows 10! This is the only thing that has worked, thank you so much!

Reaction score
My Asus laptop running 8.1 will respond to a CD put in the drawer which I then close but only to make a few noises, then nothing. I closed the computer last night and it will not respond at all this evening... absolutely no response with the mouse, keyboard(ctrl+alt+delete), or power button. There is only a light gray monitor display. I can't even turn the thing off. The "on" light remain on.
If the laptop is not booting and there is no display, how can I possibly apply any of the foregoing fixes?
It won't turn off and it won't boot so I can do anything with it? There is nothing on it that can't be deleted.
Help, any suggestions?
Thanks.

Ask a Question