SOLVED Windows 7 Games for Windows 8 and 10 not working after Win 10 anniversary update

Reaction score
I just received the "new" Windows 10 anniversary update yesterday and it removed my Windows 7 Games for Windows 8 and 10, file version 1.1.0.10, version 1.1 by Microsoft. It left the shortcut and the program folder but removed everything else. I reinstalled the program but nothing opens when you click on a game and no error messages. Any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Interesting. I have the Windows solitaire + a few other games for 7/8/10 downloaded from Winaero. Are those the ones you mean?
I had them on 4 machines

PC 1 Was running 1511 and automatically updated to 1607 causing the games to disappear. I just ran the games installer again and they reappeared and worked.
PC 2 An insider machine running 393.10 equivalent to Anniversary same as PC 1
PC 3 updated from 1511 by using the method from the Windows Blog. Games disappeared. Ran the installer, games re-appeared but would not run from the apps list and would not 'pin to start' but would pin to taskbar. Turned out they were looking for a W8.1 installer MSI file. Found that and used it when requested and lo they all work.
pc 4 was running Insider 393.10, did a clean install from an ISO. Made sure I had the 8.1 MSI and the Winaero installer they all installed and worked.

So I bet one of those will work for you.
The files windows 7 Games for Windows 10 and 8.exe

and msgames_win8_x64.msi

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim, you are the man!! I tried the msgames_win8_x64.msi first with no luck and then I went to the Winaero website and downloaded/installed windows 7 Games for Windows 10 and 8.exe. That one did the trick!

I have 3 other desktops and 3 laptops that I'm waiting to be updated to 1607 so if I have the same problem with one or all of them I have the fix. Thanks again! :)

Reaction score
The .msi file seemed to be required as the actual games are in the .exe file. So the fact that you had tried to use the .msi made the .exe work. I don't get it myself.

Reaction score
Interestingly, I uninstalled that (msgames_win8_x64.msi) before I had success by installing windows 7 Games for Windows 10 and 8.exe. I assume your telling me that after I uninstalled it that a msi file remained whereas it helped in making the "Games" install work? Just curious but still glad with the result :)

Reaction score
It 'seemed' to enable the games to be installed pinned to start. Just running the download ( unzipped) from winaero installed the games. They would pin to task bar and work but when I tried to pin to start the system asked for a win8....msi file. I found the file in my downloads directory and gave it to the dialog asking for it and the game installed. After that I could then install any of them to start without being asked again. I *think* it may be something to do with being a tile but I don't know. I am sure someone who writes these 'modern' apps could tell.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Sounds like another "computer mystery" deal and even though I like exact causes and exact solutions computers tend to confound me in that regard. Have a good weekend.

Ask a Question