Windows Defender and Firewall admin probs

Reaction score
Hi All,
Greyed out.PNG

This is my first post to this forum.
The turn on Windows Defender button and the Windows Firewall button are greyed out on my system. Apparently i have relinquished my admin rights to some other antivirus programm e that is in the system. Given that as far as i am aware there is no other antivirus or anti malware software installed can anyone help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That error would seem to suggest that perhaps your account is not a member of the Local Administrator's Group.
Is there another account on the system?

Reaction score
That error would seem to suggest that perhaps your account is not a member of the Local Administrator's Group.
Is there another account on the system?

There is no other account on the system, in fact i am recognised as administrator all of the time when installing software. I did have Spybot Search and Destroy and Adwcleaner in the system but have since removed both.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you double check your Services Console and make sure that the Security Center Service is running and Set To Automatic (delayed start)
Right click the start button, select run, type
services.msc

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have a third party security suite installed that may have taken over the responsibilities of the native windows security applications?

Reaction score
Can you double check your Services Console and make sure that the Security Center Service is running and Set To Automatic (delayed start)
Right click the start button, select run, type
services.msc

followed your advice Security Center Service is running as described, i did turn it off and the 2 buttons in question were operational but returned to the inactive state as soon as i hit them, because the SCS turns on as well, so no change, thanks for the advice anyway.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have or have you had in the past any third party security suite installed on the computer?
Such as ..... Avira, Avast, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Comodo, Eset, Kaspersky, etc., etc., etc.,

Reaction score
Do you have or have you had in the past any third party security suite installed on the computer?
Such as ..... Avira, Avast, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Comodo, Eset, Kaspersky, etc., etc., etc.,

Had McAfee for a short while but uninstalled it. Please take a look at the 2 attachments to see if they have any relevance to the problem.
Greyed out.PNG
Greyed out.PNG
Greyed out.PNG
Greyed out.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Did you reboot afterwards?
Please do me a favor and download and run rkill
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
See if it finds anything and if afterwards you can turn on Defender with those two buttons.

If so you're going to need to scan your computer for malicious software as Rkill will only stop them temporarily.

Thanks for your patience i appreciate it. I did reboot as i said no change. Ran rkill as suggested it found no conflicting issues, so again, no change. What about reinstalling Windows?

Attachments

• Rkill.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 689

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check the following two registry keys and see if the "Start" value for both are set properly to "2"
2 = Automatic, 3 = Manual, 4 = Disabled (I'm pretty sure)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdNisSvc
AND
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend

Reaction score
Check the following two registry keys and see if the "Start" value for both are set properly to "2"
2 = Automatic, 3 = Manual, 4 = Disabled (I'm pretty sure)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdNisSvc
AND
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend

"Start"value is set at 3 do i need to change to 2 if so how?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You'll either need to change it or go into services and start them yourself each time you reboot your system.
Before you make any registry changes.....
Right click the start button choose run and type
services.msc
have a look at both of them, double click them and see if you can start them manually
You can set the startup type there as well, rather than hand editing the registry.

Reaction score
You'll either need to change it or go into services and start them yourself each time you reboot your system.
services.msc
have a look at both of them, double click them and see if you can start them manually
You can set the startup type there as well, rather than hand editing the registry.

Tried all your sugs will not let me change anything, trying manual start throws up this message
services.msc
services.msc

Windows could not start the Windows Defender service on Local Computer.

Error 557: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent
hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly
or damaged,or that be malicious software from an unknown source.
This message came up when i tried manual start as suggested.

Ask a Question