Windows defender thinks my pc is being "Handled by another AV program" but it's not

Reaction score
Hello,

Windows defender thinks my pc is being "Handled by another AV progam" but it's not and as a result I can't turn it on. when I try and turn it on it opens Apps & Features in settings. All I can get it on to is periodically scanning but otherwise it is off.

I'm not sure if this is related but recently I deleted Windows Security Essentials as this remained on my pc when I upgraded from Windows 7. However since then I've been able to turn Windows defender on.

I'm not sure if this is related but when I sometimes play videos they'll suddenly play slow and the sound will go. Rebooting seems to sort this out.

Do I have virus perhaps? If so it's been undetected by spybot, malware bytes and a periodic scan from defender.

Thanks for any help!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Chopper,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed along with Windows 10, then that probably is the problem as this was not intended to be used with Windows 10.
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control opens click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    MsiExec.exe /X{75812722-F85F-4E5B-BEAF-3B7DA97A40D5}

Press Enter key

At this point if Windows Essentials was still running, a dialog will prompt you if you wish to continue.

Agree to continuing and Windows Security Essentials ought to be properly removed, and Windows Defender ought to be re-enabled.

If all goes to plan and Defender is now working as wanted, check for updates as its probably outdated in terms of definition list it uses when scanning files for possible infections.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Regedit32 but as I wrote I'd already deleted Windows Security Essentials. This was 2 days ago and defender automatically worked after that for a short period of time. Then it stopped working again and said I had another AV programme when I haven't.

However because I was worried I was unprotected I've downloaded Zonealarms free version and my PC is currently using that, but I actually haven't fixed the problem.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes you said you deleted Security Essentials - as opposed to uninstalled it, using the tools Microsoft provide to ensure its completely removed from your System.

As a result any cumulative update you get may detect the application and attempt to update it thus shutting off Defender by default which it is supposed to do.

On top of this is the possibility a recent cumulative update did with your computer what it did to many other users - unearthed an old OEM installation from Windows 7 days such as a free trial version of Norton, McAfee, or some other third party security software. If this has occurred then again until you use the vendor supplied tools to remove all traces, Defender will not work properly.

Reaction score
Ah I'm sorry, I used the wrong terminology! I do believe I uninstalled Security Essentials. I followed what you suggested and got the message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

If you have another AV installed are you just not able to override that and still turn on Windows Defender?

Regedit32

Reaction score
That would depend on what you were using.

Commercial AV programs will write to Registry a new key and value to disable Defender, so even if you disable the AV, this will not remove that Registry key - the only way to do that is to properly uninstall it.

For those AV's that allow you to simply disable or swap over what is defending system, you are probably just going to get a few notifications warning you the AV is not on.

Reaction score
Would uninstalling the Windows Security Essentials not mess up the computer? I hope it doesn't!!

Ask a Question