0x8009002b error when try to log in after idle for a while

Reaction score
0x8009002b error.
I get the above arror at my log in page and have to restart my computer. The error seems to happen after leaving my computer for a while and it going in to sleep mode. Only fixes seem to be by buying debugging software. Is there a free way to fix this?
Nick

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Nick and welcome to the forum.
I'm not familar with that particular error and the only think I can find as a reference is an obscure Microsoft article indicating
NTE_BUFFERS_OVERLAP 0x8009002B The supplied buffers overlap incorrectly.
SOURCE: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...646(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
Not very helpful.
As a temporary work around maybe try adjusting these two settings and see if that might provide some relief from the problem.

PowerPwd.JPG

AND

ScrSvrPwd.jpg

Reaction score
Update - thanks. This seems to have worked but only by supreessing the need to log in after inactivity. Now I bypass this and it goes straight to desktop or what ever i had open on screen avoiding neeed to re-enter password/pin and trigger the error

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As I indicated in my initial post, I have no idea what is causing the error to be generated.
Perhaps inpsecting the event viewer might provide some further informations.
I suspect that it may have something to do with your power configuration, but that can be a very complex can of worms as it involves, sleep, hibernate, hybrid sleep, suspend as well as assorted conditions with respect to your attached hardware, keyboard, mouse, display, etc.
It might even involve a C-state setting in the BIOS or a problem driver not responding appropriately to a wake condition which might involve anything from a BIOS update, to a chipset driver or any number of associated subsystem drivers that are not actually intended for Windows 10.
When I say "I have no idea" I mean that litterally.... I really have no idea. Hence the workaround rather than an actual solution.
Maybe someone out there who is more experienced with powercfg.exe might have some magic that will prove helpful. Maybe give it a couple days to see if anyone else might have something to contribute. We've got some pretty clever people on this forum.

Reaction score
This is beyond me without serious handholding. Happy to go with fixing the symptoms and leaving the cure for another day unless someone has a hold on this. Thanks

Ask a Question