1 Question before I update (clean install to new SSD)

Reaction score
Think I'm finally ready to update my old desktop (Dell xps8100) but just have a question before I start.

I'm hoping to do a clean install onto a new SSD.

If I just disconnect my win7 HDD and plug in the SSD and update from a USB, will that do? I understand we can now just clean install without updating by using a valid CD key. But...
If i need to go back to Win7 will I run into license problems if I just reconnect the old HDD or do I need to update the HDD and revert it if I need to?

Okay if that was 2 Q's

I've done a load of reading, got all the links (I might need bookmarked) Id'd all the potential probs with this system and dl'd all the drivers I hope I wont need

Thx,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend a disk image of your current install before proceeding.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Afterwards, if you have the Product Key for your current Windows installation, then you should be able to enter that, when prompted during the clean install on the SSD.
Worse case you'll have the old hard drive to fall back on (remove it and sit it aside).
AND
No you shouldn't have a problem if for some reason you revert back to Windows 7. It's actually built into Windows 10 (30 day option to roll back).

Reaction score
Thanks,

I'm just not sure if the licensing is somehow built into the `revert` function and by bypassing that by just switching the drives would cause problems.

I have the disk imaged and data backed up x2, I suppose that answers my own question really, if I can restore from a backup then...
I think I've read somewhere though that only one OS is licensed, maybe in a dual boot thread somewhere, idk

You're right, the system isnt supported, from what I've read the most likely problem I'll have is with the Broadcom NIC. I think I have found the solution to that issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I've read somewhere though that only one OS is licensed
That's correct. One product key, one license on one machine.
Since you would be using your Windows 7 product key to perform your Windows 10 install, then that product key would be attached to that installation.

Reaction score
I've just had a chat with MS about this. I'm more confused now.
They suggest Updating my Win 7 HDD to Win 10
They provided me with a vbs script to extract the Win 10 Product key from the HDD.
They suggest deactivating the Win 10 key from the HDD
Then Swap the drives, Install onto new SSD and used the extracted key to activate the new SSD install

Seems overly complicated to me and kind of goes against all that I've read about the upgrade process

I was reading that I could now just install the SSD and input the Win 7 key during the upgrade to activate.
This wasn't the case originally but MS has since made this a legit method.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No disrespect to Microsoft but they don't always have the top tier folks answering the phones it would seem.
I was reading that I could now just install the SSD and input the Win 7 key during the upgrade to activate.
This wasn't the case originally but MS has since made this a legit method.
Not sure where you got that idea.....
if you have the Product Key for your current Windows installation, then you should be able to enter that, when prompted during the clean install on the SSD.
OH.... that's right, now I remember.
That will need to be a product key that is on the COA sticker, either affixed to your computer or accompanying the installation media.
I don't believe that a product key extracted from the hard disk that is a product of a factory install will work for activation purposes. I think those keys are generated either for or by the big guys like Dell or HP for mass installations and are different than a normal key you might have either from a retail purchase or and OEM sticker.
I suppose you could always extract the product key if you want and compare it with the product key you have in hand.

Reaction score
Not sure where you got that idea.....
If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

Hope the insider preview reference isn't key here

OH.... that's right, now I remember.
That will need to be a product key that is on the COA sticker affixed to your computer

That's what I have.

I don't believe that a product key extracted from the hard disk that is a product of a factory install will work....

I think he was saying is that the Win10 upgrade will generate a new key that will be valid.

No disrespect to Microsoft but they don't always have the top tier folks answering the phones it would seem.

Could well be the case...
Don't know why he thinks I should deactivate any new Win 10 key on the HDD, changing a drive shouldn't affect the activation given that the device info is stored on MS servers. Though it might be an idea to have the key at hand, just in case.

All things considered, I don't suppose it will hurt to try to simply install to the SSD using the Win 7 key. If its doesn't work/activate then my Win 7 install should be unaffected, then I can go back and try their/another way.

Worst case scenario, It installs on my SSD and activates but is too problematic for my aging Dell and I want to go back to 7 (which is now deactivated by the upgrade and with no revert option due to the clean install) hopefully I can reactivate Win 7 with the original key?

This is why I would prefer to leave my Win 7 HDD install untouched by the upgrade.

It would be a lot easier to just upgrade the existing HDD and have the option to revert.

Another thing is... If it installs, doesn't activate and breaks the Broadcom NIC (common prob with this sys) leaving me without an internet connection, I will be able to load Win 10 to try and fix the driver?

Thanks for your help btw and sorry for making this over complicated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's not overly complicated.
You have a plan in place that will protect your current install, by removing the drive on which it exists, thereby keeping it safe and an easy swap to get you back to where you are now.
The rest is just time and patience.

Ask a Question