10 minute boot time after latest update

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've recently updated windows 10 to the latest nov. 2 creators update. Before this update, my OS would boot up and be ready for gaming in 5 seconds. Now, I'm having to wait up to 10 minutes. If it's worth saying I upgraded from windows 7 a few months ago, but had nothing but good things to say about windows 10.

Here's what I'm running:

Msi z97 gaming 3 motherboard
Intel i7-4790k
Samsung evo ssd
Nvidia gtx 1080 ftw 8gb graphics card

I've tried everything from resetting to factory settings, to command prompt sfc/dism/mbr scans. I've ran benchmarks and health scans on all my hardware and software, I'm not getting any errors.

I've enabled/disabled fast boot, fixed registry errors with ccleaner, and ran malware bytes. I've disabled all aftermarket startup programs. Updated my drivers regarding my ssd and graphics card.

Only thing I haven't tried is updating bios and scanning the boot log...

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Reaction score
Where is the process is it taking the extra time? During the initial boot or after Windows is loading?

Try using the diagnostic boot options in msconfig.exe by booting with just the Microsoft items to see if it makes a difference.

Are you running any MSI motherboard OEM utilities?

Disconnect any external devices you can and watch for network devices such as network drives or even memory cards in printers.

Reaction score
Where is the process is it taking the extra time? During the initial boot or after Windows is loading?

Try using the diagnostic boot options in msconfig.exe by booting with just the Microsoft items to see if it makes a difference.

Disconnect any external devices you can and watch for network devices such as network drives or even memory cards in printers.

It occurs when windows is loading up, all I see is the windows 10 logo & the dots spinning in a circle.

My motherboard is set on fast boot, so it flashes its title screen for a second, then my components list, then windows loads in and takes 10 minutes. Whereas it used to be so fast at this stage I never noticed the dots.

I have no utilities installed regarding my motherboard, and to be honest I've never updated my bios...my mobo was released in 2014 and the last update was February, 2016.

Thanks for the response, I already disconnected my cd drive. I'll try your suggestions as soon as I get home and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score

I spoke with Microsoft support, they said it's something to do with the update regarding driver malfunctions. That a patch will be released for affected systems within the next 4 days.

Reaction score
Before I reset to factory settings, it would not allow me to boot into safe mode...I have yet to try it since. I'll let you know what i find out, thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
So, first thing I did when I got home was unplug my 1tb hDD and leave my ssd plugged in. Failed to find a bootable device, I plugged my hdd back in and 5 sec boot up like normal. I'm running scans on my ssd and is showing to be in great condition. I don't understand this, my hdd is my d drive, my ssd Is my c drive. I'm not running a raid OS, so that has nothing to do with it.. on to the next steps..

Reaction score
Looks like at sometime you had the boot sector on your HD, and it is still reading it from there. You could try booting up with an original Windows 10 disk/USB and select the repair strat up option. I have had an almost similar problem recently. That was my fault. In a hurry to help a family member, I transferred the whole OS from the HD to the SSD.
Bad news for me, and maybe for you, was that, n the end, I had to do a reinstall of Windows 10 onto the SSD. No tricks and tips I studied to save the situation worked.

Reaction score
Guess who's the proud owner of windows 7 ultimate once again? Thanks everyone for helping me out. Davehc that's exactly what it was, I'll have to format my ssd and install windows 10 again down the road. For now I'll enjoy the simplicity of windows 7.

Ask a Question