14951, refresh, now Windows not activated

Reaction score
I updated to Windows Insider 14951 on my Dell E4300, then did a refresh. Now I get an error message Windows is not activated, and Activation in Settings doesn't work. In fact, hardly anything works. I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to reinstall 14951, and I don't have any previous builds. Please help!
Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what a "refresh" is exactly, unless you're talking about a "Reset" and choosing to keep you programs, files / data.
And I don't understand how performing a reset would have impacted Windows 10 Activation, assuming that it was activated before.
Perhaps there is an issue with the account you are using or your connection to the Internet?

I have an ISO of both 14951 and 14955 which I would be happy to put up on my google drive if you think either or both might help you repair your computer, but I don't have an earlier build ISO.

I've performed multiple clean installs of Insider Preview builds, including many DiskPart wipe (clean) of the entire contents of the drive before beginning the install and have never had a single issue with activation except when I tried to recover a VM of Windows 10 Insider Preview that had been running on an AMD machine onto an Intel based machine. That was a no go as I recall and I had to start over from scratch as I didn't feel like jumping through any Microsoft hoops to get them to activate it again.

Reaction score
Version 14951 cause a lot of problems on my PC as well, from wifi not working to start menu not opening.There is a new release as of today carrying the number 14955. I have not gotten it yet but that is normal for me. I usually get the update a day after they announced...

Reaction score
Reading their web site. It looks as if it is a way to 'activate' MS products without paying MS.

Ask a Question