1803>1809 and back to 1803.. help

Reaction score
Hi old friends, long time no post.

My Surfpro3 has been on 1803 since well 1803. It was never offered 1809. On June 27th I see a feature update is installing and think, great, 1903 is here and I'm semi excited about the new features I've read about. After update all seems fine but checking winver, says now I'm on 1809. It did not take long to realize that the OS is pretty much broken. Simple file transfers to USB, NAS or network shares just won't happen. The error message says something like "destination folder is not connected to the computer" or similar, but it is and I see it in file explorer. I'm within the 10 days so revert to 1803 and all is well except windows want's to upgrade? me to 1809 2 hours later. I've been able to stave it off but it is inevitable that the update will take place sooner or later.

My question is, should I do a clean install of 1903 and skip 1809 or will it break my Surfpro3 and my will to live? ......with win10 that is.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Whatever you decide, as always I suggest imaging your current working install so you have a strong fall back position.
My question is, should I do a clean install of 1903 and skip 1809 or will it break my Surfpro3 and my will to live? ......with win10 that is.
Although I often favor a custom clean install of my OS, I don't believe in your case it has to be all or nothing.
You should be able to download the ISO for 1903 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Then you can either create installation media from that or simply double click the ISO to mount it as a virtual drive and run setup.exe from that and upgrade your 1803 to 1903 bypassing 1809

It's probably important to note that 1903 has its' own set of problems but it might be worth a shot.

Reaction score
I'm hoping to bypass 1903 and get 1909. That is if they have the USB bug during installation fixed in 1909. If not I don't know what I'm going to do.

Reaction score
Hi old friends, long time no post.

My Surfpro3 has been on 1803 since well 1803. It was never offered 1809. On June 27th I see a feature update is installing and think, great, 1903 is here and I'm semi excited about the new features I've read about. After update all seems fine but checking winver, says now I'm on 1809. It did not take long to realize that the OS is pretty much broken. Simple file transfers to USB, NAS or network shares just won't happen. The error message says something like "destination folder is not connected to the computer" or similar, but it is and I see it in file explorer. I'm within the 10 days so revert to 1803 and all is well except windows want's to upgrade? me to 1809 2 hours later. I've been able to stave it off but it is inevitable that the update will take place sooner or later.

Have you tried a Repair install of 1903?
My other suggestions would be to repair your current install using DISM tools. Also, you need to understand that upgrading windows will also upgrade your hardware drivers. I would have on hand all the latest available drivers
from your manufactures web site update as many as you can before attempting the repair install
The DISM commands are as follow run each individually have patients some will take a very long time to run is lots of repairs are being made.
Type CMD
Right Click CMD.exe and select Run as Admin
copy and paste the following tools

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow
chkdsk C: /f

References

Clean install would be my last option

Reaction score
I'm hoping to bypass 1903 and get 1909. That is if they have the USB bug during installation fixed in 1909. If not I don't know what I'm going to do.
Not even a year outdated and they have already automatically downloaded on two machine. I've been wondering why my connection was slow as hell the last few nights. I'm sick of this.

Ask a Question