SOLVED 1803 Problem?

Reaction score
Had a W10 update run yesterday/last night on my laptop (Feature Update for Windows 10, version 1803), and not only lost my old W7 games, but also can't see any other computers (can see both printers) on my network. Laptop computer could see the desktop and everything else yesterday, and even transfer files to it. After starting this thread, I rechecked the desktop computer and it is now the same way. Also don't have Homegroup on either one. Searched the internet and found that update 1803 (which after over a month is now on both computers) did away with Homegroup. Yesterday the desktop could get Network, and see everything, so I just pressed along. Checked the desktop update history and found it had been updated to 1803 back in mid-July. The laptop didn't "update" until last night, so that explains that. Guess I can survive with no Homegroup - Thanks again! MIcrosoft! - but has anyone else had problems with Networking after this "update"? Tried the google search method and came up short. Can't believe that if there were problems with getting Networking between computers (but not printers?) folks would be screaming enough that it could bee here heard all over the search machines, much less not in the silicon valley, without some action being taken. Or am I the only one out of millions, etc..

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "services.msc" into the "Run" box and click "OK". Scroll down to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and make sure it's "Startup type" is set to automatic. If it isn't, double-click it and change it, then restart the computer.

Ben

Reaction score
Dear Ben,
OM - Gosh! I am so amazed and grateful for your response so quickly and clearly. At 73, I thought I'd seen most everything, BUT, this forum and the people in it (especially you) are truly amazing in their responses and knowledge. How in God's name did you know such a far out detail like that would be the short and quick of it - the solution that is.
In case anyone else has this problem, I just wanted to pass along one piece of info on the fix. I was setting at the laptop when the email come in and I did what you suggested, and found that the service was running and was set to Automatic. So before I did a computer restart, I did a restart on the service, set it to Automatic, and then crossed my fingers and did a computer restart. While that was running, I went to the desktop and opened services and found that it was NOT running, so I started it, and set automatic, and restarted that computer. Back at the laptop, I checked the file explorer and lo and behold, network was there and connected to the other one. Back to the desktop and it was fixed also.
Wish I could do more than thank you, like bow to you three times, then buy you a nice cold craft beer of you choice, and shake your hand.
Again, by heartfelt THANKS to you and keep up the good work - for free - and for us old folks!

Reaction score
Think you have misread a date. You could not have got version 1803 in mid-July. Mid April yes.

Reaction score
As for the old W7 games, if you mean the old Solitaire games they are available on Winaero.com. I keep a copy of the install file in Onedrive just to be sure. They work fine on all builds on W10 uptodate but MS persists in removing them on the big updates.

Ask a Question