2 Recovery partitions ?

Reaction score
This laptop is a pre-installed Win 7.
Upgraded to Win 10 Home.
Then I decided to change it to Insider Preview and now it is running build 10525. No dual boot.

Question :
Why are there 2 Recovery partitions ?
One is much larger than the other one. Why the difference ?

2 recovery partition..jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would assume that the larger of the two might have been, at one time, the Manufacturer's factory recovery partition from which you could perform a factory reset.
The smaller of the two possibly a product of a GPT rather than a MBR configuration.
Can't help but notice that they are both reporting 100% free space which would suggest they are both empty.
IDK if that is a result of them not having a drive letter assignment or.....
A result of your installs having somehow eliminated their contents, I've seen some reports that a Windows 10 install has resulted in some people unable to return their machine to factory settings and I wonder if that is the case in your situation now.
Maybe investigate by assigning them a drive letter and inspecting their contents?

Reaction score
Diskmgmt shows 100% free possibly because there are no driver letters assigned to them.
MiniTool Partition Wizard shows this.........
The large one is for my Acer recovery. That is now a known fact based on the screenshot.
PQSERVICE is the recovery partition created by Acer.
Still not sure what or how did the smaller one came from.

dsikmgmt.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The smaller or smallest (100.00 MB), based on your image, would be your system reserved partition where your boot config files are

Ask a Question