22 GB of "other files"

Reaction score
Good day,

I just bought a used Notebook with Windows 10 installed...

upload_2017-9-12_20-52-14.png

The vendor told me that he cleaned it up. But I thought it was slow so I ran a disk analyser on it and found out that there are 22 GB of "other files" on it...

upload_2017-9-12_20-55-44.png

How can I know what can be deleted and what can't?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mylene,

Welcome to the Forum.

If Windows 10 ISO was downloaded to install it on your computer by the guy you used, its probably still got the downloaded files from that on your system. These are typically hidden folders on the C:\ directory.

If you open File Explorer and navigate your way to This PC > Local Disk C then in File Explorers ribbon at top select View tab and check the Hidden items box my guess is you'll see folders appear like $BT_

If that is the case you can use Disk Cleanup to safely remove these files.
  • Press Windows key + S together to give focus to the Search field
  • In the search field type Disk Cleanup then press Enter key
  • A small window will open with C drive selected -- click OK
  • When that opens the larger winder click the Cleanup System files button which will take a few seconds to generate a new dialog. My guess is you'll see the 22 GB in the optimization folder, or possible another which is for windows recovery console.
You can choose to select and delete this, but it will warn you to confirm deletion as doing so means you cannot roll back to a previous build, nor use these files for general corrupt file repairs.

That means you'd need to download the 22GB again should this become necessary. So its your call as to whether you allow 22 GB to be taken up on your Disk, or whether you are prepared to download 22 GB at some later time which for many users would get close to their monthly data cap limits depending on their internet service provider plan.

By the way: If that 22 GB is in fact what I am suggesting it probably is, then it will not be the reason your system is running slower. If it turns out to be cached files for your Browser and Search indexes etcetera that might cause some slowness, and caches can be deleted safely but this means the index will need to be rebuilt or webpages you have save passwords on will need you to re-enter these to gain access to.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Another suggestion.
22gbs might be rather a lot in the $BT folder. Have a look for a folder called Win.old.

Thanks Dave I was having a senior moment when I replied to this thread and could not remember the name of the folder which you correctly identified. That particular folder will appear in the Disk Cleanup if its present, and is the one that will trigger an alert re not being able to roll back to older OS if deleted, but at the same time is perfectly safe to delete,

Reaction score
I like to use Settings-System-Storage and select the partition to get a listing.

You can then select one of the items listed and get a breakdown.

Reaction score
Another reason why it is slow is that it only has a 1.6 GHz CPU and it has a 64 bit system installed!. I would replace that with a 32 bit version of Windows 10!. ;)

Reaction score
Another reason why it is slow is that it only has a 1.6 GHz CPU and it has a 64 bit system installed!. I would replace that with a 32 bit version of Windows 10!. ;)

Best answer yet for the "slowness" of the machine.

Reaction score
2GB of RAM is minimum requirement for a 64bit system. I'd recommend to put as much in there as possible. CPU speed is above already, not by far (minimum is 1GHz).

It might also be an advantage to upgrade to the latest Windows 10. My laptop is a very old one (>10years) but runs smooth on Windows 10 64bit.Here are my specs:

2017-09-17_070928.jpg

According to the specs of the Inspiron 11-3162, it can be upgraded to max 4GB of RAM. It would be advisable anyway as it uses RAM for the Videocard as well.

Reaction score
Don't even have enough space to install the upgrade :-(
Hi Mylene,

if you have everything backed up (copies of your docs and pics), do a complete fresh install with a clean version explained in the link I posted earlier, USE A 32 BIT VERSION!!!!. ;)

Reaction score

How do I do that if I don't have the installation disk?

Reaction score
Create one per the description in the link provided above, you will need a 4GB USB stick or a blank writeable DVD. Read through the post, further down it explains how to create your own media!. :):):):)

There are also a couple of vids in the link!. :D

Reaction score
Create one per the description in the link provided above, you will need a 4GB USB stick or a blank writeable DVD. Read through the post, further down it explains how to create your own media!. :):):):)

I don't have nothing to back up! Thanks a lot, I will try that right away :)

Reaction score

If I select 32 bit instead of 64 bit, I get the following warning...
upload_2017-9-17_11-10-12.png

And then I cannot select my USB. I get the following screen...
upload_2017-9-17_11-11-54.png

Reaction score
HI Mylene,

you first need to free up some space for the temporary Windows 10 files, do you have something like CCleaner installed to free up some space?:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Click on the "Free" link only!. ;););)

As far as the message about the different version goes, try the 64 bit version if you think it will run okay, you have had it running before I believe?. :):):) It most likely won't speed up your system though as you only have a 1.6GHz CPU!. :(

Reaction score
HI Mylene,

you first need to free up some space for the temporary Windows 10 files, do you have something like CCleaner installed to free up some space?:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Click on the "Free" link only!. ;););)

As far as the message about the different version goes, try the 64 bit version if you think it will run okay, you have had it running before I believe?. :):):) It most likely won't speed up your system though as you only have a 1.6GHz CPU!. :(

OK... I removed all applications and files, I defragged and compressed the disk... I still only have 6.25 gb left!!! I am getting completely nuts!!! I will update the 64 bit version and see what appends...

Is it true that I can use the same key for Windows 32 bit and 64 bit?

Reaction score
Using CCleaner, I still can see that I have 21 gb of "other files". Can I delete them all?
upload_2017-9-17_18-27-18.png

Also, I have thousands of duplicate files. How can I clean that without breaking everything? I am now at 7gb free space...

Ask a Question