SOLVED 32 bit OS vs. 64 bit OS

Reaction score
I have an "old" notebook that will go on retirement in a few days.
The "old" notebook is a 32-bit system and has a legalized version of Windows 10 installed.
The new notebook will be 64-bit system, with a version of Linux.
I would like to keep my existant Windows 10 OS.

Questions:
1. Is it posible to simply swap the Hard-Disk from the old system to the new system?
2. If "Yes", will there be any drawbacks (slowing down; etc.)

TIA

Reaction score
A whole different set of drivers installed for the old system. And new drivers needed on the new system. You will be lucky to get it booted.

I've never tried it. I always prefer clean installs. But you could try making your system boot with safe settings. Then switch systems with it still booting with safe settings. That way if there is any drivers needed the system may setup correctly. Once you have booted safely with safe settings on the new system you can then have the machine boot normally.

Please note that the license for the OS will be invalid on the new system. You will need to use the license given with the new system.

Reaction score
A whole different set of drivers installed for the old system. And new drivers needed on the new system. You will be lucky to get it booted.

I've never tried it. I always prefer clean installs. But you could try making your system boot with safe settings. Then switch systems with it still booting with safe settings. That way if there is any drivers needed the system may setup correctly. Once you have booted safely with safe settings on the new system you can then have the machine boot normally.

Please note that the license for the OS will be invalid on the new system. You will need to use the license given with the new system.

If the license for the OS will be invalid on the new system, I can as well let the seller install an OEM Version of Windows 10.
Then it will be valid and I will be sure to have the sustem running with the correct drivers.

Reaction score
Also, swapping drives will entail whether both are SATA/Serial ATA or PATA/Parallel ATA, different types of connections and that can't be changed.

Ask a Question