5 ghz network takes forever to connect

Reaction score
my 2.4 would connect instantly when i boot my computer... but it takes about 5 minutes for windows to connect to my 5ghz connection... whats causing it?

i checked and the 5ghz connection doesnt show up on the list of wireless connections for the first five minutes after booting my computer... also it seems windows has made two types of connections, one is called Wi-Fi and the other one is called Wi-Fi3... what gives?

Reaction score
The 2.4Ghz and 5GHz virtual adapters get different names even tho' they are usually just two radios in the same chip. Which does not explain your problem. What make of adapter is it and are you sure you have the latest drivers.

Reaction score
You normally set a router up with the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios having different names for that connection. So if your computer has both versions you can sign into to either one, but only one.

This situation may differ depending on your system's configuration. The tow frequencies have differences in that the 5 GHz is normally not as strong. The 2.4 GHz is sensitive things like Microwave ovens and other networks close by. Bluetooth may also be involved. The 5 GHz can be sensitive to something like a 5 GHz phone system.

How the networks are identified may depend on which ones connect and how, but a second or third wireless connection may use a number to separate them. You can rename them if it seems appropriate.

I also have virtual adapters but I have no information as to what they do. If something is having a problem connecting, you may see some messages in the Event Viewer or you can try the troubleshooter.

Reaction score
My use of 'virtual' was just referring to each radio being deemed to be a separate device.

Reaction score
its a TP-LINK archer t9e wireless networks card, the signal strength is about 78% (rated excellent by the tp link software), the modem is a netgear ac1600 and im using windows 10... my computer is about 3 feet away from the modem.

Reaction score
Maybe you did not understand my thinking in my original post. I was wondering what your concept is as to how the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz networks interact on your system. Are you trying to run both at the same time?

Reaction score
nope... i just want to use the 5ghz networks.. im not sure what would be the benefit of running both at the same time?

Reaction score
Then you have the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with different designations as far as SSIDs? And you have the 5 GHz network selected as primary and Connect automatically?

If that is the case there still may be a signal or interference situation. Try moving the router about 10 feet away to see if that makes any difference. You also might try adjusting its orientation regarding your system. When it does finally connect, what does it show on the Network and Sharing Center as the Connections SSID. Is that network broadcasting its SSID?

Make sure the settings for the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks are the same as far as security and anything else.

But if you system is not first looking for another network and takes a while to find the correct one, I don't have any other suggestions.

Reaction score
You should show some way to designate the different radios..

Wireless Networks.JPG

Reaction score
You should show some way to designate the different radios..

View attachment 3974

Yes it shows up like that in windows, but the 5Ghz networks takes about 4-5 minutes to show up sometimes, where as the 2.4 networks shows up instantly... so if I want to connect to my 5Ghz networks I sometimes have to wait for 4-5 minutes to get connected to the internet...

Reaction score
I am not really sure what to look at to find a problem. The t9e has a Win 10 driver on their website. Are you using that driver or one from Win 10?

The utility which is downloadable for the device does not seem to support Win 10.

If you have another system you might check the operation on that system.. There could always be a problem with one of the Radios..

Ask a Question