A simple Windows 10 reg hack

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've noticed across multiple forums, various comments concerning the addition of the "Search" and "Task View" buttons.
Some positive and others.... not so much.
So I thought I would pass this along.
http://www.howtogeek.com/197607/how-to-hide-the-stupid-search-button-on-the-windows-10-taskbar/
I've tested the downloadable registry edits and merged both and can say that they work as advertised and survive a cold boot.

I figured, what the heck, something to play with while we're waiting for the next build to come along.

Reaction score
I find it rather amusing. Why do people obsess over such a trivial thing as a small icon in the task bar. It doesn't do anything on it's own and only takes up a miniscule spot and who knows, one day you might just need to search for something and getting started is just a simple click in the task bar. I thought the hullabaloo that ensued over the Windows 8 start button/menu was worthy of a comedy skit on the tonight show. I just got used to using it and found that I had no problems with it. I don't think the Windows 10 start menu is a big, crowning achievement but I use it and just keep on keeping on.

Reaction score
Brink ( aka Shawn) has posted an even simpler method.
It involves downloading and save a .bat file to desktop, then run it.
It might be improper for me to post a link to another forum, so I won't.
Anyone who has been around long enough should know where to find Brink's articles and tutorials. So, I'll leave it to you to do a little finger walking.

Reaction score
Have patience. The next build will have an option on the taskbar to hide those icons

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It is reported that build 9879 will have taskbar options to hide the Task View and Search buttons.
That is correct, just right click the taskbar and uncheck them.
This article makes me apprehensive.
Not sure why. With any early beta software there is always going to be things that don't work. That's sorta the idea.

Ask a Question