SOLVED Ability to change from one app to another on Taskbar is lost

Reaction score
I am using a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home, 8gb memory, 1T hard drive.

For almost a week, I have been unable to change from one app to another by clicking on them on the Taskbar. To access a different app, I have to minimize all the apps I have open and then click on the one I want on the Taskbar.

I looked at the recent Windows updates and saw some updates to MS Office. I did a repair on MS Office but that did not fix anything. Since this involves all applications on the Taskbar, it would seem to be a Windows problem which is why I'm posting the question here.
I would really appreciate some help, this is a real pain.

Reaction score
An addition to the above question. I found various references and fixes for this problem and have tried them ALL. Nothing works. Is there nothing that will fix this problem? Is there an update that caused this? How can I un-install it? Is Microsoft even thinking about fixing it, or do they care? I had resigned myself to the fact that Windows 10 is a LOT slower than Windows 7 but this problem really puts the frosting on the cake. I'm finding that I don't even want to turn the computer on but I know that I have no choice.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what might be causing your problem.
Can you use either the Task View icon on the taskbar to select running background apps that are open, or....
Use the Windows Logo key and the Tab key and arrow keys to navigate, or.....
The Alt + Tab keys to navigate

Reaction score
Hi, Sorry to be so long in responding. I've been away for a few days and since returning have just been dreading turning the computer on. But now I really have to get this problem fixed.
I have the apps that I use most frequently on the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Some of the apps are, MS Word, Excel, Thunderbird email, Firefox, File Explorer, Kindle, Big Fish Games. This problem occurs when with all the apps on the Taskbar, not just a few. I ALWAYS use my mouse to click on the Taskbar Icon to either open the app or bring it to the forefront. Now when I do that nothing happens. I have to minimize all the apps I have open and then use the mouse to click on the Taskbar Icon of the app I want to access. The interesting thing is that if I click on an app that is not currently open, it will open. However, if I click on an app that was already open, it won't come to the forefront so I can access it.

Until I received the above response from you, I didn't know about using the Windows Logo key and the Tab button, or the Alt/Tab buttons.

Here's what I've tried and the results.
I made sure all the Windows Updates have been done, as of this morning.
There were a number of Updates to MS Office, ao I tried doing a Repair on Microsoft Office, but no change.
I looked for a way to run a Repair on Windows 10. I guess that doesn't exist anymore. They must consider it perfect and unbreakable. Ha!

Sometimes I will click on the Taskbar Icon with the mouse maybe 10 or 12 times (mostly out of frustration) and the app will come to the forefront and I can access it.

I tried the Windows Logo key/Tab button and the Alt/Tab buttons and then using the mouse to click on the little screen that I want as you suggested and that will bring the app to the forefront but that only happens maybe 75% of the time, not every time. My objection to using these options even though they function a bit better, is that the order of the screens that show up change according to what you clicked on last and I have to look for the screen I want rather than remembering where it was. The icons on the Taskbar don't change locations which is why I like using them.

I tried the Taskview also at your suggestion. I had removed it from the Taskbar some time ago because it also moves the screens around and I have to look for the screen I want next since it's not where I last saw it. It took up space and was not what I considered user friendly. Unfortunately, it only works about 50% of the time. It moves whichever screen I clicked on to the first position, however, it does not come to the forefront so I can access it. So pretty much useless.

Please just help me get back the plain vanilla simple ability to click on the Taskbar Icons with my mouse. This seems like this should be a simple setting somewhere that got reset or corrupted.

And PLEASE do not tell me to do a clean install of Windows 10. After I originally installed it back in November, it took me until January, many many weeks, and more than a few 18 hour days to get it to work just okay, not great. I don't ever see it working great and I certainly don't want to go through all that work again.

Ask a Question