Able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free?

Reaction score
Since Windows 8/8.1 users get to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, even if they have a pirated copy of Windows, will this be the same case for Windows 7 users? Just wondering that's all, since I'm thinking of upgrading a Windows 7 computer.

Reaction score
During the first year, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users.

Windows 10 will not be a free upgrade for Pirates. People will still need to purchase Windows 10 to have a legitimate license after upgrading.
http://www.techspot.com/community/t...dows-10-wont-get-a-free-valid-license.210490/
One story that circulated a couple of days ago claimed that Microsoft would be giving pirates of their operating system a free upgrade to Windows 10. The news seemed a little strange at the time, considering Microsoft's previous stance on piracy, so it's not hugely surprising to discover that it was too good to be true.

Microsoft has clarified that people who are running a pirated copy of Windows will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 relatively easily. However, their Windows license will remain invalid after the upgrade process is complete, meaning they won't really be getting a "free" upgrade to Windows 10.

It's funny how quickly false rumors spread, when it's rumors people want to hear!

Reaction score
During the first year, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users.

Windows 10 will not be a free upgrade for Pirates. People will still need to purchase Windows 10 to have a legitimate license after upgrading.
http://www.techspot.com/community/t...dows-10-wont-get-a-free-valid-license.210490/

It's funny how quickly false rumors spread, when it's rumors people want to hear!

Its just stupid that some tech sites give you false information ._.

Reaction score
It's not really false information. Technically you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 using a pirated version of Windows 8.1 (not sure about 7, but I'd assume so). But it still won't be listed as a genuine copy. There is a path to make it genuine though (it will cost money). It's an attempt to move the Asian and eastern European markets over to legitimate versions. Most software in those regions are pirated versions.

Reaction score
I wonder how it will work after you upgrade Win 8.1 to Win 10 and decide or need to install a new hard drive and want to do a clean install. Will you need to reinstall Win 8.1 and then upgrade or will Microsoft be selling a stand alone version or have a free .iso download of Win 10 available? Will the installation of a new hard drive constitute a new machine and not be eligible for the free upgrade? I wonder what kind of path Microsoft is leading us down as far as future use of Windows is concerned. Is it going to turn into a cloud based, monthly fee to use program? I still have my DOS and Windows 3.11 floppy disks and hope I don't have to dig out my floppy disk drive and revert.

Reaction score
It's an attempt to move the Asian and eastern European markets over to legitimate versions. Most software in those regions are pirated versions.
No it's not. Pirated versions is pirated versions. The upgrade is for upgrading legitimate copies of Windows 7/8. MS is not giving their software for free. It is a gift for those that previously bought a copy of Windows. Pirates will pirate, but this is not a gift for them. They are still asked to buy Windows 10 in order to have a legitimate copy, therefor nullifying the free part of this deal for them.

Reaction score
I wonder how it will work after you upgrade Win 8.1 to Win 10 and decide or need to install a new hard drive and want to do a clean install. Will you need to reinstall Win 8.1 and then upgrade or will Microsoft be selling a stand alone version or have a free .iso download of Win 10 available? Will the installation of a new hard drive constitute a new machine and not be eligible for the free upgrade? I wonder what kind of path Microsoft is leading us down as far as future use of Windows is concerned. Is it going to turn into a cloud based, monthly fee to use program? I still have my DOS and Windows 3.11 floppy disks and hope I don't have to dig out my floppy disk drive and revert.

Once you upgrade to Windows 10 from a activated Win 7 or 8.1 than Windows 10 becomes activated and stores you hardware info on their server. So when you do a clean install it checks this info and activates your clean install.

Reaction score
Once you upgrade to Windows 10 from a activated Win 7 or 8.1 than Windows 10 becomes activated and stores you hardware info on their server. So when you do a clean install it checks this info and activates your clean install.
This is a 3+ year old thread.

Ask a Question