Access denied?! But - I am the admin..?

Reaction score
Every so often when attempting to move (mainly system files I suppose, but really all kinds) I get 'Access denied' error messages with the qualification 'You need permission from the sysadmin to do this' or somesuch. (Most times I can 'click through' and force the issue but not always).
But I am the admin...I installed the OS and there is only one user account - mine:

Admin_Duck.jpg

What can be done about this foolishness and Microsoft meddlesomeness? It's kind of tiresome.
Thank you.

Reaction score
It isn't altogether "foolishness".
You do not own the OS. Only using it under the protection of Microsoft's rules for their own, and your, protection.
Their is little point in attempting to interfere with System files. They are an essential part of the successful running of the OS, for which MS are responsible.
In one sense, we are privileged. In most other software, those same system files are written into hard code, and cannot, without a hacked, be interfered with.

However, if you really wish to look deeper into the files/folders, you can run the attached. This , on a right click, will show "Take ownership", which will give you access to those folders/files

Attachments

• Add Take Ownership Option.reg
    1.4 KB · Views: 503
Reaction score
Thank you davehc for your reply!
You do not own the OS. Only using it under the protection of Microsoft's rules for their own, and your, protection.
No fooling? I bought a licence at no small cost and feel about this about as I feel about e.g. buying a car and then being told that for my protection I cannot change the seat-covers or whatever.
This MS overbearing, condescending 'protection' 'for my own best' which I neither asked for nor need drives me yet further into the Unix fold.
I have worked with PC support professionally since 1984 and humor myself that I know very well what I am doing and wether my actions are detrimental to the OS's workings. I can always reinstall should I make a mistake.
Thank you though for the take-ownership-link. I already use it and got it the reg-key from that excellent site howtogeek.com years ago. It is a good remedy most times.
I genuinely feel that I should be the owner of my own PC system, hardware as well as software, bought at a substantial price without any snooty pointers from the makers of either. At 60, I am a big boy and in charge of every other aspect of my life so why not this?

Reaction score
You bought a Licence to use it, not backward manipulate it. As you profess to know what you are doing, there does not appear to be any advice further that would be useful to you.

Reaction score

Ask a Question