Access denied trying to access my desktop from my laptop thru my usual Network

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to find Win10 installed itself on my desktop WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! Now I can't access any files from my laptop as I am accustomed to do. I have tried everything within the sharing dialog boxes. Even giving permission to all users which I don't like doing (but despite my laptop's username appearing plain as day in Explorer, when I try to add it to the permissions list it says "user not found!" - that shouldn't be a surprise since every "diagnose the problem" button I have ever clicked on in a Microsoft OS inevitably returns the result: "couldn't identify the problem!" Really, could any company be more incompetent? Easy answer there.) still results in "access denied!" So after trying every option I end up here. How do I get my network back to working like it should (really! It's my damn computer, not Microsoft's - I should be able to access my OWN FILES!) or how do I get rid of this abomination called Windows 10? I have wasted way too much valuable time fooling with it already.

Reaction score
Make sure that "File and Printing sharing" is turned on in Windows Firewall and make sure that everything is set correctly in "Network and Sharing Center".
Have you tried just left clicking on your laptop user name ( in explorer ) to see if a login box comes up? Are you on a Homegroup or a workgroup?
Can you access your W10 from your laptop?
If your not happy with W10, you can always rollback to whatever OS you were on previously.

Ask a Question