Access Denied

Reaction score
I have just installed windows 10 and I am listed as the administrator. However, if I try to save a newly written document in a folder that I have always previously used for that purpose, I get a message which says:- You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead? I can not create folders or save files in existing folders. This occurs when I try to save in Documents folder or the OneDrive. I am able to save on network places though. Is there an EASY permissions fix that does not require changing permissions for all the folders. Please help.

Reaction score
Yes. I had exactly the same issue...... could not save anything into any folder except desktop.
Give full permissions to HomeUsers is the solution.

Permissions.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I try and change the security settings for the documents folder i get an access denied for each sub-folder in the Document folder and the Home User already has an full access setting. if I open any of the files e.g an access DB it opens it with an error message that the file is read only and I must do a Save As but cannot save it in any folder or even a new folder. Any other suggestions?????

Reaction score
When I try and change the security settings for the documents folder i get an access denied for each sub-folder in the Document folder and the Home User already has an full access setting. if I open any of the files e.g an access DB it opens it with an error message that the file is read only and I must do a Save As but cannot save it in any folder or even a new folder. Any other suggestions?????

No. I don't know how to fix your problem.
Sorry.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you are getting access denied when trying to cascade your permission settings down to sub folders and files, they you may need to do a couple things
First block (disable) inheritance from the parent container (folder above) and make sure your specific account name also has full permissions and then
If that fails you may have to take ownership (change owner) of the directory and cascade that to sub folders and files as well.

Ask a Question