Adding a site to the desktop

Reaction score
Hello, please help. So far, I haven't found a way to add a site to my desktop icons. This was easy with 8.1.
Appreciate help!!

Reaction score
I have a feeling I do not understand what you are asking.

Would you mind give me an example of a website, any website will do ?
Thank you.

Usually, If I open a website, say www.windows10forums.com > once opened, right click inside the page > click Create shortcut > click Yes to confirm.
A desktop shortcut will be added to my desktop.

But that is not what you meant, is it ?

Reaction score
Here is the desktop shortcut of www.windows10forums.com I mentioned in my reply.

desktop shortcut.jpg

Reaction score
dondel,

Here is another method....................

shortcut - desktop.jpg

Above is an example of creating a shortcut of this forum to the desktop.
Use the similar method for other sites.

Reaction score
I made this reply because the OP asked me the question in conversation section and I don't know how to post screenshot there without using dropbox or onedrive.
So I posted in the thread he started.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I drag the favicon to the desktop and it has a Google icon, not a Windows 10 icon because I have the Chrome browser. I recall doing that on Windows 7 from the IE browser and it had the IE icon. And of course Edge has an E icon as well. I do not like the Google icon so I change it to something I like.

alien.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
dondel,
In you PM ( private messge ) you said....................
When I right click a site attempting to add it to the desktop, UNLIKE Win 8.1, I get a small box with 3 options.
Select all, inspect element, and view source....................................

THAT is because you are using Edge browser.
I gave my examples based on using Internet Explorer.
If you want to do it my way, you will have to switch back to IE11.
IE11 can be found at.......................
Start button > All apps > under alphabet W, click open Windows Accessories > Internet Explorer is there.
Right click at it and you can either Pin it to Start or Pin it to Taskbar, or click Open File Location >right click at Internet Explorer > click Sent To > click Desktop (create shortcut).
Lastly, set IE11 as default browser.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That depends upon how the Internet Shortcut was created. If an icon is not chosen (either manually or automatic by the application creating the shortcut) during the creation of the shortcut, it will use the default icon of the associated application.

In answer to your question about the Windows 10 icon, that is the icon @Ian uses as the Favicon for this website. When the shortcut was created the process used the favicon automatically as the desktop icon for the shortcut.

Beyond that I can say when the favicon (if the site even uses one) will or will not be used in creating shortcuts.

Reaction score
Is this a discussion of the help requested for dondel or jerry 2000, or is it the same guy?

This thread seems to be a repetition of the contents of the other thread.

With the veiled mention of "conversations", I I, like Trouble, am getting snowed under. Ill leave it to you guys.

Reaction score
This may be off topic but A second account can be created in a forum simply by using a second email address to register. Do not know if that applies to this forum.

Reaction score
That is known. But, unless they are using one of the methods of using a fake IP, that (IP)address will remain the same

Ask a Question