Admin rights on Windows Installer after an update to Windows 10

Reaction score
Initially I had some issues with the upgrade on an Asus PC from Win7 to Win10, whereas I had to roll back 4 times as my iTunes and network wasn't working (turned out to be my HP 8600 printer connected on the network). However, recently I've been trying to update my Garmin Express program, and my Skype, and I've been getting messages like the one below when trying to do the Skype update:
Skype Installer error.jpg

I've tried looking up info on line, following instructions, and looking at advice on forums, but nothing worked. I also tried recovery process and it will not allow me to do it.

I am also looking at backing up my current computer and wanting to reformat the hard drive, and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, but need info on how to obtain an ISO or disk to install from with a product code/registration, since the free upgrade takes into account a current registered version.

Thanks!

Any ideas please?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you uninstall Skype and then re-installed it?
http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/
I am also looking at backing up my current computer and wanting to reformat the hard drive, and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, but need info on how to obtain an ISO or disk to install from with a product code/registration, since the free upgrade takes into account a current registered version.
Backup by creating a disk image.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

A clean install of Windows 10 is supported on the current machine, if......
The previous instance of Windows 10 was "activated"
Additionally with the most current ISO, Windows 10 supports entering your previous qualifying version of Windows product key during or after the clean install. I just did one on my daughter's Dell Laptop with her Windows 8 Pro product key.

Reaction score
Thanks - and yes, I did try uninstalling the Skype (and the Garmin Express) and it wouldn't let me access that key - shows up as well during the uninstall or reinstall process, which is why I'm inquiring. I've checked the registry entry(ies) for that and the registry won't let me make or apply changes to the registry entry.

I'm still Googling this on internet - will need to get info from the old Windows 7 install in order to try to run the install from scratch.

Thank you for your input, apprecaite it!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've checked the registry entry(ies) for that and the registry won't let me make or apply changes to the registry entry.
I assume you have right click the parent key (container) and selected "permissions" and given yourself explicit "full control" of the key and child objects?

Reaction score
Update on the issue with Skype updating error message (and same type issue when trying to update Garmin Express):

Did a further Google search on this issue, and found that I did have a bad Windows 10 update, so was able to find an iso for Windows 10 update - 1511, which I downloaded and burned to a DVD, then ran the installer on the computer.

NOTE: I also run 2 computers where I work at, and had noticed that, although both computers had Windows 10 on them, checked winver (running Windows key and clicking R and typing in WINVER) which revealed that one computer was on Version 1511, whereas the other computer was showing Windows 10 build 10240, which was the same as my home computer).

Ran the Windows 1511 DVD update, which upgraded my computers that had the 10240 to version 1511. Although the computers were updating, the one running the 1511 was getting the newer updates, whereas the one with the 10240 version was just picking up updates only for that version.

The upgrade actually did a reinstall of the Windows 10 Operating System, which I followed the prompts and retained all my files and programs. After completion and rebooting, I checked for further updates, then attempted to update Skype, which completed satisfactorily this time. YAY! This must have reassigned the proper permissions to those registry entries.

However, I was still getting an error message about ElevatedInstallerInstaller.msi when trying to reinstall my Garmin Express program. I also Googled that, and found this article:

https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={0b668180-4b8e-11de-f35c-000000000000}

I ran that, and all it could find in the list was the item for ElevatedInstallerInstaller.msi so selected the UNINSTALLING A PROGRAM option and ran it. Then did the reinstall and it fixed it.

Just wanted to thank you for input on this issue. I'll go ahead and change the status to SOLVED once I receive any replies to it.

Hope this helps someone else.

Ask a Question