Administraion lock out

Reaction score
I have windows 10 after successful installation operation I installed a new administrator. There is now a complete administrative lock out each time I want to install something in spite of entering the correct password. The computer behaves normally for the current user. Do I re-install windows 10?, I downloaded from the internet after purchase of the computer. Do I just go back on line to obtain windows 10? Is there a possibility I could lose my personal files? Can I change from the original administrator, the account holder to a fresh one?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Resolve,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you getting a specific error message when you attempt to use this Administrator account you say you created?

If you want to remove it, you could enable the built in Administrator account via an elevated command prompt:
  • Right-click on Start then left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the UAC confirmation dialog pops up click Yes
  • At the command prompt type net user administrator /active:yes then press Enter key
  • Type exit then press Enter key
  • Left-click on Start then up top click on your Login name and select Administrator
  • Sign-in (the password or pin will be the same as the account you just used to create built in administrator)
  • Now signed in: you can go and remove that Administrator account you created and start over creating a new one if you want. Once done simply sign out.
  • Log back in to your usual account and in an elevated command prompt type:
    • net user administrator /active:no then press Enter key to remove that built in administrator

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have windows 10 after successful installation operation I installed a new administrator. There is now a complete administrative lock out each time I want to install something in spite of entering the correct password. The computer behaves normally for the current user. Do I re-install windows 10?, I downloaded from the internet after purchase of the computer. Do I just go back on line to obtain windows 10? Is there a possibility I could lose my personal files? Can I change from the original administrator, the account holder to a fresh one?
When I enter the correct password nothing further happens if I enter the wrong password a message incorrect password comes up.. You say right "click on start" What exactly is that? The dialogue boxes which spring up just look for passwords and nothing else

Reaction score
Got there now thanks.When I get to my log in name and proceed with the user name which I select as administrator (no mention of administrator) I enter the correct password message comes up "profiles missing" I cannot proceed any further. What next?

Regedit32

Reaction score
After you enabled the built in Administrator using the command net user administrator /active:yes in your command prompt, you ought to be able to run that Built in administrator via the Start button.

Left-click on Start then at top of list you see your Account icon. Left click that to open a context menu where the built-in administrator which you enabled is listed. You click that to get to a logon page for this Administrator.

Sample images

When you left click on Start you then see your Account at top of list. Left click that to open a context menu.

sample1.png

After left clicking your account a context menu will appear beneath it with the built in Administrator you just created using that net user administrator /active:yes command. Left click this to get to sign in page for Administrator. The password or pin will be the same as your normal login.

sample2.png

Once you sign in as the Built in Administrator you can remove the Local Administrator account you created that is not working, and then if you choose to, set up a new account with Administrator privileges.

Follow the other instructions I gave earlier from there.

Reaction score
Command prompt (Admin), dialogue box comes up with administrator I substituted from the original. Password accepted however fresh dialogue comes up "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed create an association in the default program control"
Every move I make appears blocked by the administrator where do I go next?

Reaction score
Command prompt (Admin), dialogue box comes up with administrator I substituted from the original. Password accepted however fresh dialogue comes up "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed create an association in the default program control"
Every move I make appears blocked by the administrator where do I go next?
Hello I only managed to get to the dialogue box beyond left click on command prompt (admin) it asked for and accepted by password then this message comes up "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed create an association in the default program control" What is the next step?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try this
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Do you get the same message when you go at it that way?

Reaction score
C:Windows\system32 found but no sign of Cmd.exe. so no further progress with this suggestion. I cannot be the first person in the world with this problem (administrator lock out) so I am at a loss to understand why it is so difficult to resolve.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry.
If you are hiding file extensions the command prompt executable might just say 'cmd'
Capture.JPG

IF you do not have cmd.exe in the system32 folder, that might indicate more extensive problems.

Reaction score
C:Windows\system32 found but no sign of Cmd.exe. so no further progress with this suggestion. I cannot be the first person in the world with this problem (administrator lock out) so I am at a loss to understand why it is so difficult to resolve.
I have now found exe file it is listed simply as cmd any alteration here is administrator controlled which require password when entered correctly it says file does not exist. Back to square one I think. Is the option now to re-install windows? Will I lose my files?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Given the issues you are having you may need to consider an in-Place upgrade.

That involves downloading the Windows 10 ISO, mounting it, then running Setup. During the process you can select to save files and settings.

One last thought I have though given the symptoms you are referring to is that File Associations for CMD.exe may have become corrupted. If that is the case, then you could manually repair that by merging the correct settings into your Windows Registry.

I'll attach a file you can download to do this. If the settings are actually OK merging will simply overwrite the pre-existing entries and no harm will be done. If the registry settings are not OK, which is what I suspect is the case for you, then merging the attached file will correct this.

Steps to take:
  1. Download the attached file CMD_file_association_repair_for_Windows_10_only.reg saving it to a location you can locate it.

Note: This is only to be used on a Windows 10 OS as some settings here will corrupt Windows 8.1, or earlier editions of Windows OS
  2. Locate the download, then right click and select merge
  3. Some pop up windows will appear. Click Run, then click Yes, then click Yes again.
  4. Once done, close any other open programs and completely shutdown your computer.
  5. Turn the computer back on and allow it to boot to logon screen then sign in and test whether you can now do things that currently are triggering errors for you.

Attachments

• CMD_file_association_repair_for_Windows_10_only.reg
    4.6 KB · Views: 431
Reaction score
I took the second option and downloaded repair file. After merge I right clicked on the yes but could not proceed This message in dialogue box "Some keys are open by the system or other processes or you have insufficient privleges to perform the function"
For the second option do I just download windows 10 from the internet?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes,

To get the Windows 10 ISO go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
  • Scroll down page a little and select Edition, then the language you want it in, then 32 or 64-bit version
  • Note: To do an in-Place upgrade / repair install, you need to be using the same version , language, and architecture (i.e. 32 or 64-bit) as your current install.

For how to use the ISO see here:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

Scroll down page a little to the section titled 'Windows 10 Repair Installation' and follow instructions

Reaction score
In the download techbench there are 120 files could you please specify which page I scroll down to do the suggested selections

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically you would pick the version, language and system architecture type (32 or 64 bit) to match the version you are trying to upgrade or repair. The one matching your install.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then you simply launch setup.exe from the media from within your current version of Windows to perform the in-place upgrade.
In the case of upgrading from Windows 10 as seems to be your situation.... You can simply double click the ISO file and that will mount it as a virtual drive, where you can select and run setup.exe.

Reaction score
Got there eventually. Looking at Neosmart This looks scary. What are the chances of success as to wrecking everything. Should I hold off until I have a quite fortnight with no presentations?I have made backups!

Ask a Question