SOLVED Administrator does not seem to work

Reaction score
I have just installed windows 10 and I am listed as the administrator. However, if I try to save a newly written document in a folder that I have always previously used for that purpose, I get a message which says:- You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?

I have also noticed that many folders in my C: drive have a small icon attached (a tiny box with a blue top and right facing arrow head). If I try to access any of these folders I am refused permission with the message "access denied". For example, if I try to enter a folder shown as C:/users/all users/documents I get this message. There are dozens of places where this 'blue arrowhead' occurs.

What have I done wrong, please?

Many thanks for any help available.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think you've actually done anything wrong.

What I think is happening is that post Win10 upgrade there may be a new Users Group, called "HomeGroupUsers", and......
Your user account (I think) is automatically a member of this Group (don't ask me why).

Try right clicking the problem folder(s) and choosing properties.
Select the Security tab from along the top.
Examine, edit, add as needed to the access (security permissions) list to include that group.
Click edit
Click add
Click Advanced button
Click Find Now button
Scroll through the list at the bottom and add that group.
Start to OK your way back out of there and when you get back to the "Permissions for xxxx" page examine the check boxes.
By default it will likely be basically read execute and list
You'll want to change that to Full Control or at a minimum Modify.
See if that helps.

I'm not sure if this is unique to the Home version of Win10 or if it unique to machines who have joined a "HomeGroup"
The former I don't have (I Have Pro) and the latter I would never use ( always use workgroups myself).

As an aside, if you have Pro you can use
lusrmgr.msc
to remove your account from the HomeUsers Group, leaving it in the local Administrators Group, only.

Reaction score
I don't think you've actually done anything wrong.

What I think is happening is that post Win10 upgrade there may be a new Users Group, called "HomeGroupUsers", and......
Your user account (I think) is automatically a member of this Group (don't ask me why).

Try right clicking the problem folder(s) and choosing properties.
Select the Security tab from along the top.
Examine, edit, add as needed to the access (security permissions) list to include that group.
Click edit
Click add
Click Advanced button
Click Find Now button
Scroll through the list at the bottom and add that group.
Start to OK your way back out of there and when you get back to the "Permissions for xxxx" page examine the check boxes.
By default it will likely be basically read execute and list
You'll want to change that to Full Control or at a minimum Modify.
See if that helps.

I'm not sure if this is unique to the Home version of Win10 or if it unique to machines who have joined a "HomeGroup"
The former I don't have (I Have Pro) and the latter I would never use ( always use workgroups myself).

As an aside, if you have Pro you can use
lusrmgr.msc
to remove your account from the HomeUsers Group, leaving it in the local Administrators Group, only.

Reaction score
Thank you for your very detailed and clear reply to my problem. Unfortunately, having done (I hope) what you suggested, as I back out I get a problem. When I reach the page 'Permissions for xxx page' I get a new message appear which includes the words "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied" and nothing seems to have happened to resolve my problem.

When I was unsuccessfully searching for HomeGroupUsers I found, in the list, both HomeGroupUser$ and HomeUsers. I have separately tried both of these options but the result is as I have mentioned above.

Any further advice would be very much appreciated.

pete995fj

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home (or whatever the proper names is for not Pro)?

Reaction score
I have just installed windows 10 and I am listed as the administrator. However, if I try to save a newly written document in a folder that I have always previously used for that purpose, I get a message which says:- You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?

I have also noticed that many folders in my C: drive have a small icon attached (a tiny box with a blue top and right facing arrow head). If I try to access any of these folders I am refused permission with the message "access denied". For example, if I try to enter a folder shown as C:/users/all users/documents I get this message. There are dozens of places where this 'blue arrowhead' occurs.

Many thanks for any help available.
You are not the only one with this problem. If what Trouble states doesn't work then your other option is a Clean Install. I got tired of all the permissions so that is what I did. You must backup everything cause you will lose everything.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a reasonably comprehensive article here http://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson1/all/
Which is actually an amalgam of multiple articles nested as one, which goes over permissions, sharing, homegroups, etc., in both Windows 7 and 8.
Unfortunately it is missing some detail regarding the "homeusers" group as well as information on taking ownership of a particular container (folder / directory).
Which may be what you are going to have to do in order to edit "Permissions" ( share permissions) and "Permissions (NTFS permissions under the security tab)
NTFS (security tab) permissions are for "Local access" on the machine where they reside. "Share" permissions under the Sharing Tab are to address access from the network.
When they are combined the most restrictive on wins. That is to say that if you are actually sharing a folder, file, directory, then you have to adjust permissions in both locations.

There is another article here regarding taking ownership, with a link to a utility which adds the feature to the right click menu.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
I haven't tried it in Windows 10 yet, as I personally prefer to do things manually, my way.

Reaction score
Thank you again for the advice so far. It is much appreciated.

I have now 'solved' the problem to a certain extent, as follows:-
I was on the telephone to Microsoft Help desk and I spoke with someone who was able to help.
I described the problem and he gave me the following answer. The folders marked with a sub-icon containing an upward and right facing small blue arrowhead are not accessible to anybody (They are protected by Microsoft). Most, if not all, of these specific folders are actually a 'carry-over' from my Windows 7 Home operating system - automatically carried over when I installed win10 last weekend. At the end of 30 days from installation of win10, the operating system will automatically examine everything carried over from win7 during the installation and will, where relevant and possible, remove any surplus or unnecessary icons, folders, etc. thus leaving a much cleaner version of win10 on my computer than I appear to have at the moment. The man also said that Microsoft has found numerous problems associated with "Permissions" and is working urgently to solve these difficulties. He expects that an update will be sent soon to resolve them.

Therefore, the advice I got was to ignore the problem at the moment and hope that at the end of 30 days it will have been resolved, (or it will have disappeared). He seemed confident of his advice.

I hope this latest information will be of interest to other members of this forum.

Reaction score
Thank you again for the advice so far. It is much appreciated.

I have now 'solved' the problem to a certain extent, as follows:-
I was on the telephone to Microsoft Help desk and I spoke with someone who was able to help.
I described the problem and he gave me the following answer. The folders marked with a sub-icon containing an upward and right facing small blue arrowhead are not accessible to anybody (They are protected by Microsoft). Most, if not all, of these specific folders are actually a 'carry-over' from my Windows 7 Home operating system - automatically carried over when I installed win10 last weekend. At the end of 30 days from installation of win10, the operating system will automatically examine everything carried over from win7 during the installation and will, where relevant and possible, remove any surplus or unnecessary icons, folders, etc. thus leaving a much cleaner version of win10 on my computer than I appear to have at the moment. The man also said that Microsoft has found numerous problems associated with "Permissions" and is working urgently to solve these difficulties. He expects that an update will be sent soon to resolve them.

Therefore, the advice I got was to ignore the problem at the moment and hope that at the end of 30 days it will have been resolved, (or it will have disappeared). He seemed confident of his advice.

I hope this latest information will be of interest to other members of this forum.

That's reassuring - I've got the same problem. Initially I've been saving edited files to Desktop - the only place they would be accepted. But I've now found that I can free up files from Read Only by right clicking their folders and then right clicking Share and selecting Administrator. But that has to be done every session. Hopefully the info you've been given is OK.

Ask a Question