SOLVED Administrator permissions

Reaction score
Hi,
I am the the only user on this PC and, in general, I don't have any problem with permissions but sometimes, for example if I try to delete a file, I get a popup saying that I am not logged in as Administrator and need Administrator permission. These are not system files but just random files from time to time.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks
David

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like, just the UAC (User Account Control) doing its' job and confirming that you do want to proceed.
When you receive the prompt and click "Continue" or otherwise answer in the affirmative, are you allowed to proceed and are the files then deleted?

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the answer but no, it won't let me proceed - just says that I am not logged in as administrator and do not have permission to proceed.
Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
These are not system files but just random files from time to time.
Can you inspect the permissions for one of these "random files".
Right click the file and choose properties, select the security tab and use the "advanced" button to see
Who is listed as "Owner"
AND
Who has what level of permission with respect to that file?
IS your user account present in the "Permission entries:" box?
Depending on the file and its' source (where it came from), you may want to take ownership as well as disable inheritance and add your user account explicitly with full control permissions.

Reaction score
gaudonville: I understand you are the only user, but are you the logged on as the Administrator. If "Yes" it works as Trouble explained above.

Reaction score
Can you inspect the permissions for one of these "random files".
Right click the file and choose properties, select the security tab and use the "advanced" button to see
Who is listed as "Owner"
AND
Who has what level of permission with respect to that file?
IS your user account present in the "Permission entries:" box?
Depending on the file and its' source (where it came from), you may want to take ownership as well as disable inheritance and add your user account explicitly with full control permissions.

I tried to view "permissions" but it said that I didn't have the authority to see the permissions. It was a folder that I was trying to delete and so I opened the Folder, deleted all the files within it and was then allowed to delete the folder - don't know why but it worked!

Reaction score
You should have at least 1 account as an administrator and probably 2 in case their are problems with the first.

Reaction score
You have two options in Win 10, (1) Sign in with a MS account. (2) Sign in with a MS account.
Go to control panel click on "User Accounts" and follow the instructions.

Setting up user accounts in Win 10 Pro is simple following the above method. However, I found Win 10 Home was challenging for me, It wouldn't let me add a local user account even though I was the Administrator. It was forcing me to sign in with a MS account which I didn't want. I found this info from MS "How to Add Local Users"

Press Windows Key + R
Type "control userpasswords2" (without quotes) and click OK
Click on add under users tab
Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account
Click on Local account
Choose a name for the account (I chose PC Administrator)
Add password if you want to (I would recommend Yes)

Change the new created account Local account Administrator and select your current account to Local User Account.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Creating a new account and giving it Admin rights ( 2 step process)

Windows key + X (to open Command Prompt)
Select (Command Prompt) Admin

Type at the prompt

net user /add [username] [password] this will creat the username and PW it will be a local account
This creates the user account.

Type at the prompt
net localgroup administrators [username] /add
This adds the user to the Local Administrators Group

Eventhough this creates a local account when you run the Store you can enter your MS account and it will uses that in the future and the same for Onedrive.

Also when i did it I copied all the files in the folders C:\users\old account to C:\users new account. This is copying your old profile to the new to match your shortcuts and other setting. I had to be logged into the olduser to be able to copy the files.

Reaction score
Creating a new account and giving it Admin rights ( 2 step process)

Windows key + X (to open Command Prompt)
Select (Command Prompt) Admin

Type at the prompt

net user /add [username] [password] this will creat the username and PW it will be a local account
This creates the user account.

Type at the prompt
net localgroup administrators [username] /add
This adds the user to the Local Administrators Group

Eventhough this creates a local account when you run the Store you can enter your MS account and it will uses that in the future and the same for Onedrive.

Also when i did it I copied all the files in the folders C:\users\old account to C:\users new account. This is copying your old profile to the new to match your shortcuts and other setting. I had to be logged into the olduser to be able to copy the files.

Thanks for that which worked as you said - no more problems hopefully!

Ask a Question