Administrator Privileges...

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I've looked all over and can't find the answer. Ever since the upgrade, I'm having problems getting the computer to accomplish any task that requires it to write in particular folders, download files, etc. The solution I found was to right click the program I'm wanting to run, then select "Run as administrator." That usually solves the problem. It seems to me when I just open a program, (I'm the only user on the computer and am listed as the administrator), it doesn't run with these privileges. It's frustrating, usually because I realize I didn't open as administrator when I'm in the middle of doing something and I get that annoying "You Screwed Up!" message, "Error, you can't write to this folder." Is there a way to go in and relax that? I'm not planning on running for president in the short term, nor do I have copious amounts of money that I'm concerned about.

Reaction score
This problem is common and only fix I have is Clean Install. To many folders were duplicated during the upgrade. Only problem is you can never go back to previous operating system. I had to do clean install in the one with 8.1 to 10 which gave me same headaches but not my 7-10.

Reaction score
I have a similar problem relating to a game on steam. Has anyone else figured out a solution aside from a full re install?

Reaction score
I take it you have used the advanced security settings on the drives/folder properties to set the ownership and child permissions so they are inherited to the current user?

Reaction score
That's irrelevant if the old drives were on a upgrade install, the old permissions usually stick to the old account in my experience, which is why clean installs are preferred, although for 1st install of 10 you cant do that.

Reaction score
Where 10 screwed up was not producing a Windows Old folder. If they did mine was missing. With all the other systems I had this folder and everything worked like it was supposed to be. With this folder it saved all your files although you didn't see them until you needed them then you had to search for folder in C drive. No duplicates.

Ask a Question