SOLVED Adobe Acrobat Under W10

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to delete Adobe Acrobat files under W10? Tried everything and continue to get message "file open elsewhere". Al

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi ajh,

Are you attempting to delete these files from within File Explorer?

If you are try pressing Alt key + P first to turn off the preview pane. If the preview pane is on it will be accessing the file you select to delete and hence the Error: File in Use.

The same applies if you are just opening a folder outside of File Explorer too. Turn off the preview pane first as this Preview is using the file thus it cannot be deleted.

Note: At this time it only appears to be an issue if the file is a PDF. I've tried to replicate this error with JPEG, PNG, TIFF, DOC, TXT, etcetera, but am able to delete those even if Preview Pane is on.

I've sent feed back to Microsoft, and no doubt others have too. Eventually I hope they or Adobe can come up with a solution to give users of Windows the choice to keep their Preview Pane on if they desire.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks - but, unfortunately it did not help. Also cannot move to it to a thumb drive to throw the drive away. Al

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks - but, unfortunately it did not help.

OK, so are you attempting to delete this file from File Explorer, yes or no?

How are you trying to delete the file? Using the Delete built into Windows toolbar, or using a third party file manager?

Is it only PDF files you cannot delete, or is it any file type?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK, so are you attempting to delete this file from File Explorer, yes or no?

How are you trying to delete the file? Using the Delete built into Windows toolbar, or using a third party file manager?

Is it only PDF files you cannot delete, or is it any file type?

Regards,

Regedit32

File Explorer ... Windows tools only ... Going to try to change file type and see if that allows deletion.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Going to try to change file type and see if that allows deletion

Ok and while doing that double check your Preview Pane on right side of folder is turned off. Alt + P toggles it on or off.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just tried something new. Created a folder called "1 Trash". Mover some pdfs into it and deleted the folder. Worked for the ones I tried but will not work for all files. When right clicking on the pdfs the "delete" option does not come up. I will try to do some more via this 1 Trash folder and see what happens. Al.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When right clicking on the pdfs the "delete" option does not come up.

Hi ajh,

You are describing a different issue regarding the deletion of PDF files.

If after right clicking a file the context menu does not offer the option to delete the file, then your permissions are set to prevent this. You'll need to right click | select properties | then go to Security tab of these files and change the permissions to allow you to own the file and thus have full control of the file (including the option to delete it).

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to delete Adobe Acrobat files under W10? Tried everything and continue to get message "file open elsewhere". Al

Are you talking about deleting PDF files or the files for the Adobe install?

Reaction score
Got the answer in a round about way with your help. Thanks.

Right click on file, click on Properties, click on Security, click on your Hotmail name (my name was as Al Howard AJH1935 ..... check for yours), click on OK then it takes you back to the file. Then do a right click and click on Delete. Sometimes it does it right away and sometimes you have to click on Retry when that flakey message comes up.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Got the answer in a round about way with your help. Thanks.

Hi ajh,

Thanks for reporting back on your successful resolution. It benefits the whole community here where people post how they finally resolved their issue. Shared learning per se.

Regedit32

Ask a Question