SOLVED Advanced Recovery from Image

Reaction score
I had a spare 250GB Seagate Barracuda drive laying around doing nothing. I decided to install the Spring Update 1803 and keep the drive as a working spare.
Installed spare HD into my PC, booted from USB Installation media.
After setting up the language in the installation media, installed my USB Backup Drive, selected "Repair my PC" which took me to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery, this is were it goes all wrong.
The repair tool scanned for all backups and system images and found nothing, pop up said Windows cannot find System Image, there was no images or backups located by the tool.
Being frustrated, I tried the exact same procedure as above on my second identical (in every way) Dell Optiplex PC, the results were identical, that is the Advanced Repair Tool failed to identify the USB Drive that contains many system image backups created using Acronis, Aomei and Macrium Reflect.
Question! Where did I go wrong? or is this a serious glitch with the Spring Update 1803.
BTW I ended up installing 1803 on the spare HD on its own partition, Data partition remains empty as it changes daily and after all it's a spare HD ready to drop in either of my two PCs.
Any help would be appreciated. If It's a glitch with the new version 1803, I wouldn't want any member caught with their pants down if re-imaging doesn't actually work. That would be living in a fools paradise.
BTW I may doing the procedure wrong. This is the first time that I have ever attempted to re-image a new or spare HD. Lucky me, I've never ever suffered from a HD failure catastrophe. But I do Backup, backup, backup to 2 USB HD using multiple backup software programs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Question! Where did I go wrong? or is this a serious glitch with the Spring Update 1803.
The built in Advanced Troubleshooting recover image tool is intended to recover images created from within windows by windows.
To recover an image from a third party product you would use their rescue media to boot from.
I do it all the time with Acronis when installing a new disk into the system. I tib the old drive and boot from the Acronis Rescue media and restore that tib to the new one

Reaction score
Trouble Thanks for your explanation.
I never would have thought that I would need 3rd party rescue media. To make me look even more silly than I am, I have all the 3rd party rescue media USBs sitting right here in my portable PC carrying case.
I got thinking last night (dangerous) that it may have been looking for the native Win Backup media, so I created a Windows Image and a Repair Disk. I hope I never have to use it, but now I know better thanks to your help. BTW I haven't used the Win 7 Backup and Restore in many years, I must say It still works well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Most of the top tier third party imaging software provide a means of creating boot media from within the program itself for a bare metal restores, like when you're recovering a complete hard drive image to a new hard drive.

Ask a Question