SOLVED After a crash W10 created a second MBR

Reaction score
My disk contains XP, W7 and W10 on bootable partitions. On the extended partition I have Linux Mint bootable.
After a W10 crash I restored it with an image and activated with the DVD. W10 created a second mbr on that disk. The first one is on partition 1 (=msdos1 version?) and the second on the last partition 4 (=msdos4 version?). Mint shows both and both do startup all 3 versions of Windows. However EASYBCD.exe in W7 and in W10 only shows me the newer W10 version on the W10 partition.
The old one being a W7 version was and still is working fine as I can select that mbr to run all 3 Windows as Linux shows both in its grub menu for selecting.
Questions:
Learn to live with it?
Could it become an issue?
If needed how to get back to only?
Any body seen this before?

Attachments

• Schermafdruk van 2021-02-11 21-34-49.png
    Schermafdruk van 2021-02-11 21-34-49.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
Just a question, is WinXP, Win7 and Win10 all 32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64 or are there 1 or 2 of each? Yes, WinXP Pro was available as either. Use of MBR suggest they all are. Something to consider, a lot of the 'flavors' of Linux are moving to the x64 version only, most times the reason given is there are not many, if any, x86 computers being built lately.

Another thing, the MBR type can have only 4 Primary partitions or 3 Primary partitions plus 1 Extended partition with the extended containing a number of Logical partitions. The GPT can have many more Primary partitions, probably would be more useful for dual/triple/quad booting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All 4 OS are 64bit for several years now on the dualcore Intel PC. I need XP for some older but still fine working hardware. The same for W7. Both run in an deactivated internet setting. That is where I need Linux and W10. Sorry to say but W10 is a bit too tricky for me. Doing too much in the background. However, Linux also has some disadvantages.
As written: Linux sees both mbr but EasyBCD.exe only sees the W10 version as making changes only show up in the new one. But both mbr start all 3 Windows OS once selected/activated in Linux.
MBR I am familiar with. But GPT? Is there a way to activated it the easy way? Then I would not need that extended partition anymore where Linux is installed with 2 ext4 partitions together with a "toolbox" with ntfs partition.

Reaction score
Found the solution how to deal with what happens after (re)activating W10 if Linux is already installed:
There is also a screencopy that shows the 2 MS partitons being bootable from Linux.

Reaction score
Found the solution how to deal with what happens after (re)activating W10 if Linux is already installed:
There is also a screencopy that shows the 2 MS partitons being bootable from Linux.

Attachments

• Dual-Boot-GRUB-Boot-Loader.png
    Dual-Boot-GRUB-Boot-Loader.png
    303.5 KB · Views: 94

Ask a Question