SOLVED After a Successful W10 Clean Install...Future Re-install Question

Reaction score
So after wrestling with some issues after a W7 --> W10 Lenovo laptop upgrade, I decided to do a clean install of 64-bit W10 pro using the Media Creation Tool and a Windows 10 Installation USB. Everything went well with the installation, but I still need to use the machine a bit to determine whether the clean install has fixed the issues it had.

Anyway, my question: is the media on the USB thumb drive that I used for this clean install all I would ever need to reinstall W10 on this machine? I realize it may not work on another machine. Or does the media on the USB make a call out via the internet to gather other information at the time of install (such as updates, which could change overtime). Or is the USB self-contained now and will provide everything that is needed in the future. It would make sense that it has to reach out to MS to get updates that may have been released since the USB media was created, but I don't know.

What I'm trying to do is secure a way to re-install a clean version of the OS in the future if it is ever needed. Obviously I don't have an installation disc that would provide future installation capability, so just trying to see if this USB will sufficiently take the place of an installation disc.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
my question: is the media on the USB thumb drive that I used for this clean install all I would ever need to reinstall W10 on this machine? I

You can use that USB drive to reinstall Windows 10 in the same machine whenever you want and as many times you want.
Yes, you will have to install all the Windows Updates released since the USB media was created.

Reaction score
adding.................
It shouldn't happen, but if during a reinstall of Windows 10, you are asked for product key, just select SKIP option and continue.
Activation will be automatic after successful reinstall.

Reaction score
Installation media is the same regardless of the device it is stored on. There would be no difference in the outcome from using either install methods. The same installation media can be used to upgrade/install Windows on everyone's machine. It is the activation code (which is separate from the install media) that makes the difference and gives everyone their own independent license.

*With that said the activation code may also be stored for convenience on the USB stick. It's much easier to add an additional file after mass production of USB Install media.

Last edited:
Reaction score
RE : using the same USB to install Win 10 in another computer

You can use the same USB thumb drive for another computer with the following conditions :
1. If the USB downloaded a 32-bit version, then it can ONLY be used in another computer which is also a 32-bit version.
2. If the USB downloaded a Windows 10 Pro version, it can NOT be used for a computer running non-Pro Windows version.
3. After July 29th 2016, using the USB to install on another computer will require a new Windows 10 license. Free upgrade will be over.

Last edited:
Reaction score
David, Clifford, thank you for your thoughts and confirming I can use the USB as installation media should another re-install be necessary.

I appreciate the quick responses.

Reaction score
You are welcome. Be careful if you use the same USB for another computer.
Remember what I told you on reply #5.

Ask a Question