After latest 10 update keyboard not working properly

Reaction score
Many buttons including spacebar don't work. Updated drivers don't help and can't roll back to previous driver. Help!

Reaction score
Many buttons including spacebar don't work. Updated drivers don't help and can't roll back to previous driver. Help!
Tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling, computer insists I have right drivers. Most of my keyboard buttons are now reassigned other functions. Have to press fn button while using the spacebar. Why do these big updates keep f***in with my computer. Updates for our protection??? Along with a huge dose of incompetence!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Michael.
Can you advise as to some specifics regarding your equipment.
What kind of computer..... Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, All in One, 2 in 1, etc. Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, etc. ??
What kind of keyboard..... Integrated as in a laptop, external peripheral? IF so, how is it connected USB wired, Bluetooth or RF wireless? Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, etc. ?

Reaction score
Hello Michael.
Can you advise as to some specifics regarding your equipment.
What kind of computer..... Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, All in One, 2 in 1, etc. Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, etc. ??
What kind of keyboard..... Integrated as in a laptop, external peripheral? IF so, how is it connected USB wired, Bluetooth or RF wireless? Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, etc. ?
Boy, you ask a lot. It's a Toshiba satellite, using built in keyboard, recent windows 10 update took 12 hours and repeated retries. I'm not able to provide more details at the moment.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you get the opportunity, beg, borrow or steal a USB wired keyboard.
Plug it into the laptop and see if it exhibits the same or similar symptoms.
IF not, then it is likely either, a faulty keyboard (I've replaced a lot of laptop keyboards) or..... more likely a proprietary driver issue, for which you will need to know......
Your exact Model Name and number (all numbers) and then go to the Toshiba site http://support.toshiba.com/drivers
Plug in the appropriate numbers for your machine and download the driver and install it
computer insists I have right drivers
Regardless of what device manager is telling you, the laptop likely has some proprietary keyboard requirements with respect to its' features and functions.

Don't neglect to check and confirm that you have the proper settings with respect to region, language and keyboard configuration in settings.

Reaction score
When you get the opportunity, beg, borrow or steal a USB wired keyboard.
Plug it into the laptop and see if it exhibits the same or similar symptoms.
IF not, then it is likely either, a faulty keyboard (I've replaced a lot of laptop keyboards) or..... more likely a proprietary driver issue, for which you will need to know......
Your exact Model Name and number (all numbers) and then go to the Toshiba site http://support.toshiba.com/drivers
Plug in the appropriate numbers for your machine and download the driver and install it

Regardless of what device manager is telling you, the laptop likely has some proprietary keyboard requirements with respect to its' features and functions.

Don't neglect to check and confirm that you have the proper settings with respect to region, language and keyboard configuration in settings.
How can I find keyboard configurations? I've looked everywhere?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Language

Reaction score
How can I find keyboard configurations? I've looked everywhere?
I've found places I can change languages but it doesn't affect which keyboard buttons still don't work. Why do I have to hold down the fn button to make keys 1 through 5 and spacebar work??

Reaction score
I found advice online suggesting I remove the Lenovo pointing device. I did so and it appears to have cured my problem however temporarily. Time will tell.

Why a Lenovo pointing device was added to my Toshiba I'll never know. Why do these things happen?

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

also check: Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language (click on your language) > Options and check that you have the correct keyboard layout showing! (German is correct for me even though I have UK English as the default system language):

keyboard.JPG

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have the same problem in my hp laptop, after windows update, i cannot use the keyboard properly. I can use it in other app but when im searching in windows, microsoft edge, its not working.

Before update its working properly but after the latest update, the problem occur.

any advise?

Regards.

Reaction score

Ask a Question