After Updates Today, Edge Won't Work But Ie Does

Reaction score
Just did Windows 10 updates today. Now when Edge starts, all my favorites are gone, there is no menu, and then after a few seconds it closes itself. IE works fine. Should I try re-installing Edge?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

You could certainly give that a try, but before you start messing with the built in app, you might want to first verify your Microsoft Edge Favorites are still being stored.

To do that open File Explorer, and in the addressbar paste the following:

%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1

Press Enter then you will see a single folder, which when opened reveals the DBStore and Favorite folders.

To be completely honest, I am a little mystified how precisely the Favorites storage is being handled now, because from day one there was a rather messy system, that was improved on when Microsot started storing Favorites as an ebd type file, and now we still have that but a new location.

To add to the mystery, just last week I used a Recovery Partition to format my hard drive and re-install the Factory image on a computer. That resulted in seeing Windows 7 Premium and the standard bloatware. I removed the bloatware, then using a DVD with Windows.iso for Windows 10 on it, I clean installed Windows 10 version 14393.0

After that I downloaded the latest Creator ISO, mounted the image, and ran Setup. I ended up with OS Build 15063.322 installed. Then much to my surprize, upon open Microsoft Edge Browser, both my Favorites, and the items I had added to the Favorites bar, both loaded, after I went through the tedious process of pretending to read the latest tips you see when you reset a browser.

That leads me to beleive the settings are not only being stored locally, but now also via our Microsoft accounts out there in teh cloud somewhere.

There are some basic elevated Power Shell commands one can use to uninstall many of Microsoft's built-in apps, but to my knoweldge Microsoft Edge cannot be got rid of quite that easily. However, you can manually delete the Microsoft Edge folder via File Explorer, then using PowerShell, register the app again to effecttvely reset it.

The risk there of course is you are deleting that nouser1 folder during this process.

So if you are willing to risk of losing your Favorites data then:

As a precaution you could always copy that nouser1 folder and save it to a different location as an additional backup of your settings and Favorites.
  • Open File Explorer
  • In the address bar type %localappdata%\Packages then press Enter key
  • Right-click on the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and select Delete
  • You may need to confirm this during the process.
  • When that is finished close the File Explorer window
  • Press Windows key + S
  • In the Search/Cortana field type powershell
  • In the search results right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator
  • Click yes to the UAC prompt
  • In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Press Enter key to execute

Note: The above command will reset Edge for Current User only, if you have more than one User account set up on your computer, then use the following command instead:

Code:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}
  • When you have execute the command you want successfully, close the console.
Microsoft Edge browser ought to be good to go now, but if you want to you can restart the computer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. The Favorites folder has only icon (.ico) files.
The DBStore folder has edb.chk, Spartan.edb, Spartan.jfm, and a LogFiles folder.
I'll now try the procedure you outlined.

Reaction score
I followed the procedure you outlined. It's still the same: no favorites, crashes after a few seconds without any error msg. The Favorites folder was gone so I copied it back from where I saved it. Still the same thing.

Reaction score
Even after a reboot. I clicked on Microsoft's website link "Get Edge". It just opens the existing app without downloading & installing new files. And Edge is not listing in Apps to remove or repair.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Even after a reboot. I clicked on Microsoft's website link "Get Edge". It just opens the existing app without downloading & installing new files. And Edge is not listing in Apps to remove or repair.

That is correct. Which is why I said it is not as simple as you were hoping.

The only real options you have is to do an in-place upgrade - i.e. install windows over the top of itself, which would also install edge over the top of current install.

Or, you could do a clean install.

Or, roll back to a build version before the current Update [ you say led to this issue ]

Or, attempt to uninstall the KB update you feel led to this issue.

Regedit32

Reaction score
By the way - I forgot to ask you at the outset, whether or not you have disabled any settings such as Cortana, or Privacy settings. It seems when you play with these settings some apps throw a hissy fit, so that might be worth investigating too.

Reaction score
I saw another thread in which a user removed Trusteer. I tried that and now Edge works, although I have lost my Favorites.

Ask a Question