After Upgrading to Win 10, trapped in neverending Automatic Repair Cycle

Reaction score
Upgraded to Windows 10. After shutting down and restarting, have been trapped in an endless nightmare. Starts with "Preparing Automatic Repair," then goes to "Diagnosing your PC," then ends at "Automatic Repair...Your PC did not start correctly." The "Restart" button just starts it going it again. Under "Advanced Options," I am wondering if there might be something in "Troubleshoot" that might help. "System Restore" did not work. "Startup Repair" did not work. Options that I have not tried are "System Image Recovery," "Command Prompt," "UEFI Firmware Settings" and "Startup Settings." I have not tried any of these...very nervous about losing any of the apps and the many files/pictures/etc. on my computer. The only other option that I have is to hit F12 and get into whatever that blue screen is...I can't remember the name...maybe start-up options. I tried to find some Microsoft Support. Spent more than 5...yes FIVE...hours yesterday in queue for Microsoft chat with no one responding. The waiting time for phone support was in the neighborhood of 8 hours. Have been waiting on chat again most of the day today...no response from Microsoft..."higher than normal wait times," blah, blah, blah. Truly despicable customer service. Does anyone have any idea as to how I might be able to resolve my computer problem? I am not tech savvy in the least...and I am completely lost. Many thanks to any saviors out there. I am really desperate to get my computer back...presently using a notebook that someone was kind enough to lend me. Many thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Options that I have not tried are "System Image Recovery," "Command Prompt," "UEFI Firmware Settings" and "Startup Settings."
Startup Settings should provide you with an opportunity to boot in Safe Mode, which may help if it's a weird driver issues (minimal drivers used) or a startup program, like one of the many Security Suites that seem to be causing issues.
Or it may not help at all.

Worse case use a Linux Live CD to boot your computer to make sure all your critical data is safe.
Copy it off to an external USB drive.

I hate to say it but that critical data backup should have been done before the upgrade was tried.
Hind sight I guess.
We had a banner on this site for a week or ten days practically begging everyone to make a backup and a disk image before proceeding, with a link to this thread.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
But my guess is that not many people saw it until perhaps after the fact.
Best wishes and good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you friend. My wife did the upgrade without informing me...and, yes, I am ready to...never mind. Nevertheless, the Safe Mood option did not work. How do I obtain and use a Linux Live CD? Many, many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you friend. My wife did the upgrade without informing me...and, yes, I am ready to...never mind. Nevertheless, the Safe Mood option did not work. How do I obtain and use a Linux Live CD? Many, many thanks.
I usually use Mint MATE, which you can obtain here http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
Other people seem to prefer Ubuntu which is available here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop choose your flavor (32 or 64 bit depending on your machine architecture.... 32 bit if you don't know which one to choose)

Either will boot your machine (set BIOS to boot from optical drive if not already set), and run the live environment which will let you access your critical data (profile folder usually contains most of your critical data).

DO NOT click the icon on the Linux desktop to install.

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I am assuming that I would have to download this (Mint MATE or Ubuntu) on another computer and then somehow get it to my nonworking computer. Do I burn it onto a CD? If so, at what point would I put it into my nonworking computer...before turning it on? Please forgive my ignorance. And, again, thank you so much. I am very appreciative of your kind help.

Reaction score
I usually use Mint MATE, which you can obtain here http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
Other people seem to prefer Ubuntu which is available here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop choose your flavor (32 or 64 bit depending on your machine architecture.... 32 bit if you don't know which one to choose)

Either will boot your machine (set BIOS to boot from optical drive if not already set), and run the live environment which will let you access your critical data (profile folder usually contains most of your critical data).

DO NOT click the icon on the Linux desktop to install.

Reaction score
Sorry...more questions...I am looking at the Setup Utility...that's the thing that I get to after tapping F12 upon startup. Secure Boot is Disabled...not sure if that makes sense. Boot Mode is UEFI; the other option is Legacy. Then I have a list of Boot Devices...going from 1st to 5th. They are, in order:

UEFI:Windows Boot Manager
USB Storage Device
Internal ODD Devices
USB Floppy Device
Onboard NIC Device

Would one of these reference the optical drive? Should I reorder these?

So lost...my apologies.

Reaction score
I believe that, that refers to Internal Optical Disk Drive.

Thank you so much. I am assuming that I would have to download this (Mint MATE or Ubuntu) on another computer and then somehow get it to my nonworking computer. Do I burn it onto a CD? If so, at what point would I put it into my nonworking computer...before turning it on? Please forgive my ignorance. And, again, thank you so much. I am very appreciative of your kind help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes you would download it and then using something like ImgBurn, create a DVD most of the current distro are a little too large for a CD.
You need to start or restart the computer with the Live product in your optical drive and press whatever key is required to evoke the boot menu option in your specific BIOS.

Reaction score
Yes you would download it and then using something like ImgBurn, create a DVD most of the current distro are a little too large for a CD.
You need to start or restart the computer with the Live product in your optical drive and press whatever key is required to evoke the boot menu option in your specific BIOS.

I believe that, that refers to Internal Optical Disk Drive.

Lost Robert Again. I do not install Linux on the computer that I am creating the disc on, correct? After I create the CD and boot it from my nonworking computer, what will I see? How do I copy my data off to an external hard drive? What do I do after that? Thanks so much!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I do not install Linux on the computer that I am creating the disc on, correct?
That is correct you do not install, you just run inside the CD live environment.
After I create the CD and boot it from my nonworking computer, what will I see?
You'll see a desktop, not unlike Windows, especially if you are using Mint MATE.
How do I copy my data off to an external hard drive?
Attach an external USB Drive and you'll be able to see it (actually all your drives in the "Computer" Icon on your desktop in Mint MATE.
Just browse to what you want to back up..... usually your entire profile folder and drop it on the external drive.
Most everything should work similar to what you are used to. Right click copy, right click paste, drag and drop, etc., etc.

Reaction score
It basically runs a version of linux from your dvd drive. I'm not overly familiar with the Mate UI, as I run Mint Cinnamon (i'm sure trouble can help you with navigating). But you'll plug in your usb drive and copy whatever files you need to it. Live Linux CD's are the greatest things in the world, when you can't access your hdd.

Reaction score
That is correct you do not install, you just run inside the CD live environment.

You'll see a desktop, not unlike Windows, especially if you are using Mint MATE.

Attach an external USB Drive and you'll be able to see it (actually all your drives in the "Computer" Icon on your desktop in Mint MATE.
Just browse to what you want to back up..... usually your entire profile folder and drop it on the external drive.
Most everything should work similar to what you are used to. Right click copy, right click paste, drag and drop, etc., etc.

Hello again my friend, One of my friends was kind of enough to burn me a DVD, but gave me Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, which readily booted my computer. Now I have no idea what to do. I am assuming that I want to be under Files and then under either Places or Devices or Network. My guess to go under Devices...but would I select OS or Computer? Files brings up a raft of things...not sure where to look. OS brings up a message "Unable to access 'OS'." Never felt so lost in my life. Thank you so much for all the help that you have provided me. (Or should I abandon Ubuntu and try to get my hands on a MintMate disc...is that more user-friendly?) It would be great is something existed that said: do this, then do that, then do that, etc. THANKS AGAIN!

Reaction score
It basically runs a version of linux from your dvd drive. I'm not overly familiar with the Mate UI, as I run Mint Cinnamon (i'm sure trouble can help you with navigating). But you'll plug in your usb drive and copy whatever files you need to it. Live Linux CD's are the greatest things in the world, when you can't access your hdd.
Thanks. You guys are great. I truly am Lost Robert. Hope your kindness comes back to you many times over.

Reaction score
Hello again my friend, One of my friends was kind of enough to burn me a DVD, but gave me Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, which readily booted my computer. Now I have no idea what to do. I am assuming that I want to be under Files and then under either Places or Devices or Network. My guess to go under Devices...but would I select OS or Computer? Files brings up a raft of things...not sure where to look. OS brings up a message "Unable to access 'OS'." Never felt so lost in my life. Thank you so much for all the help that you have provided me. (Or should I abandon Ubuntu and try to get my hands on a MintMate disc...is that more user-friendly?) It would be great is something existed that said: do this, then do that, then do that, etc. THANKS AGAIN!

Dear Friend, After needing to abandon this project for a couple of weeks...I am back. I was able (finally) to get a Mint Mate disc burned and am now trying to use it since the Ubuntu approach seemed to get me nowhere. When I click on computer, I receive the below screen.

upload_2015-8-30_17-37-20.png

When I click on OS, I get the screen below.
upload_2015-8-30_17-39-47.png

I have no idea how to proceed. Many thanks again for all of your help. Best, Robert

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OH...... Man!!!
I hate when that happens.
There are two probable causes for that particular error.
#1. A BIOS setting referencing Fast, Quick, Rapid, "Boot" usually Fast Boot = enabled. You will need to disable that.
#2. And probably more likely is a Windows Power Setting which you probably are not going to be able to get to, as you cannot even safe boot your system.
As a reference the setting is in Control Panel -> Power Options -> Left Side of Screen -> Choose what the power buttons do -> bottom of screen, turn on fast startup (recommended).

There is one other option which may work to disable that feature using a command prompt from the advanced startup options if you can get back to that screen.
Just open that command prompt and type
powercfg -h off
hit enter
type exit
hit enter
and reboot to your Linux Mint MATE and you should be good to go.

For reference for later

FastStart.PNG

Reaction score
OH...... Man!!!
I hate when that happens.
There are two probable causes for that particular error.
#1. A BIOS setting referencing Fast, Quick, Rapid, "Boot" usually Fast Boot = enabled. You will need to disable that.
#2. And probably more likely is a Windows Power Setting which you probably are not going to be able to get to, as you cannot even safe boot your system.
As a reference the setting is in Control Panel -> Power Options -> Left Side of Screen -> Choose what the power buttons do -> bottom of screen, turn on fast startup (recommended).

There is one other option which may work to disable that feature using a command prompt from the advanced startup options if you can get back to that screen.
Just open that command prompt and type
powercfg -h off
hit enter
type exit
hit enter
and reboot to your Linux Mint MATE and you should be good to go.

For reference for later

View attachment 959

Thanks. I tried your recommendation "powercfg -h off". Unfortunately, no success. I ended up with this message.
"Hibernation failed with the following error: The request is not supported.
The following errors are preventing hibernation on this system. Windows does not support Hibernation during the upgrade process. Windows Preinstallation Environment does not support Hibernate."

I was able to toggle into my BIOS settings, but I don't see anything that references Fast, Quick, Rapid, etc.

Not sure what to do next. I am trying to do some reading, but I am really lost. Do I have to somehow force-mount (whatever that means) something to get things to work?

Many thanks again for all your help.

Robert

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, Still with this problem...it has been a long road. I have been trying to mount the hard drive through Linux Mint Mate so that I can copy off my files...and am getting this error screenshot. I think that the error is stating that the hard drive is not formatted properly (not NTFS, which is the file format for Windows 7 and/or Windows 10). Seems like a very strange error...any thoughts on what to do? Many, many thanks. Terribly Lost Robert

upload_2015-9-8_22-46-34.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think that the error is stating that the hard drive is not formatted properly (not NTFS,
I don't believe it is saying that at all. In fact those 4096 byte size clusters are pretty typical of an ntfs volume.
The warning is saying the your drive is GPT and that the utility that you are attempting to use (be careful) does not support a Guid Partition Table structured drive.

Not exactly sure what you are attempting to do at this point, but.....
I suspect that it might be time to either remove the drive and attach it to a second Windows box to back up your data or else perhaps get a professional to take a look at it.

Ask a Question