All browsers are slow after windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
All browsers in my laptop including chrome, firefox are slow after windows 10 upgrade. Data connection speed is very high but loading time is slow.Any ideas how to fix this?

Reaction score
Sounds like you have something that was in your PC when you did the update, and if you do then I suggest you reinstall Win 10 or defragment your hard drive using Win 10 Os in your start menu click all apps and go to Windows Administrative and use your disc defrag it is a lot quicker than Win 7 and Vista and it should help and go t C-Net and download Malware bytes Free Version and it will find any malware that was attached to any files before you upgraded, normally when you don't clean up or defrag your hard drive before you do any upgrade the files are still transferred to the newer OS".

I hope this help's

Reaction score
Signed up after reading this.

I had the same issues.

Some pages would load fully (google search for example), some would half load (amazon), and some would not load at all (travellodge.co.uk).

Using chrome/firefox on my android to visit the same sites had no issues when requesting desktop site.

I searched for a while and tried the following (as others having similar issues on older OS's found they worked):

Uninstalling bonjour - no effect

Ran malwarebytes - no issues found

Tried these cmd prompts - no effect
ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int reset resetlog.txt This one didnt work.

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

On another note, I could not install Java - is this a new restriction?
I read a post that sometimes updating java or adobe sometimes fixes these issues.

I have used the system restore to get back to windows 8.1 (all described issues are gone).
I am currently re-downloading the Windows 10 upgrade maybe it was a bad install???
I will update once its finished "upgrading" again!!

Until then...anyone else have similar issues? Or even better - a fix?

EDIT: I will try defragmenting before I install this time

Reaction score
I just installed Win10 and found this same problem. Messing around, I found that switching to a High Contrast Theme fixes the slowness of my browser "Firefox/Waterfox". Switching back to a regular theme brings back the slowness of the browser. There is something weird about the "hi-res themes. I haven't tested my PC games while using a high contrast theme yet, I bet it's really fast.

EDIT: Didn't make my PC games any faster, it only seems to affect browsers. Makes pages load really slow, and addons like Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar opens up and closes really slow, and I have it set to open/close instantly.

Last edited:

Dev

Reaction score
Thanks todd, your idea of switching higher contrast theme works like a charm, I can see speed boost in Chrome, haven't check firefox but it should be. While video buffering is still an issue, if its a static page; it load fast compare to normal theme. Did you face video buffering issue or it's only me..??

Reaction score
Thanks todd, your idea of switching higher contrast theme works like a charm, I can see speed boost in Chrome, haven't check firefox but it should be. While video buffering is still an issue, if its a static page; it load fast compare to normal theme. Did you face video buffering issue or it's only me..??
I do have a slight buffering problem because of it on YouTube, but not when I switch to a High Contrast theme, then it is really fast.Normally I have to go back to the old Flash Video, but with High Contrast I can use the new HTML5 video and watch videos in 1080p, which with Win7 I can't use HTML5 because it's laggy.

The only thing that I can't stand about High Contrast Themes is that it makes your computer look like it is from the 1980's. Ugly as sin it is. I may end up switching back to Win7 if this isn't resolved in the next few days. I'm hoping once this issue is fixed, I can switch back to Win10 and still have my FREE reservation, whether it be 2 or 6 months from now.

I also signed up for Insider Builds, maybe someone other than a Dev will solve this issue in a timely manner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just an update for my issue.
Never tried the high contrast theme - seems like a horrible work around though.

After trying more steps to improve what was happening I finally gave up and realised that the windows update upgrade was just a disaster waiting to happen.

I clean installed windows 10 and voi la! Everything working as it should.

Something must have got missed or corrupted doing the update but everything is working fine now.

Feel sorry for those that don't know how to clean install though as it would most likely fix most issues people are facing.

Reaction score
Lenovo T450s problem with internet connectivity resolved - go into 'Device Manager' and update the drivers on the NIC card and wireless adapter. Even though these appear to be up to date, run the update . Made all the difference for me. Hope it helps you! :)

Reaction score
I also have the slow browser problem and am currently learning to live with it in the hope that MS focus on real world issues like this with a fix rather than features I never needed such as Cortana etc.

Reaction score
Hi Huys :) i was having the same issue but i think i have found a solution. It is a compatibility issue so what i did was to change Chrome's compatibility mode

(Steps 1, 4, 5 and 6 will fix your issue while Steps 2 and three are optional. they speed the browser up more than usual by disabling its auto-updates)

1 - Right click on the chrome icon and go to properties

2 - Go to the shortcut tab

3 - your "Target" would be looking something like this
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
add " -no-sandbox" after the whole thing like i have done below
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox

4 - select the Compatibility tab
5 - tick the "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and
6 - select "Windows XP - Service Pack 3" from the drop down menu.

This should solve the problem while we wait for Google to sort out their compatibility issues with Windows 10!

Have a beautiful day :)

African Simba

Reaction score
All browsers in my laptop including chrome, firefox are slow after windows 10 upgrade. Data connection speed is very high but loading time is slow.Any ideas how to fix this?
Hi Huys :) i was having the same issue but i think i have found a solution. It is a compatibility issue so what i did was to change Chrome's compatibility mode

(Steps 1, 4, 5 and 6 will fix your issue while Steps 2 and three are optional. they speed the browser up more than usual by disabling its auto-updates)

1 - Right click on the chrome icon and go to properties

2 - Go to the shortcut tab

3 - your "Target" would be looking something like this
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
add " -no-sandbox" after the whole thing like i have done below
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox

4 - select the Compatibility tab
5 - tick the "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and
6 - select "Windows XP - Service Pack 3" from the drop down menu.

This should solve the problem while we wait for Google to sort out their compatibility issues with Windows 10!

Have a beautiful day :)

African Simba

Reaction score
I just installed Win10 and found this same problem. Messing around, I found that switching to a High Contrast Theme fixes the slowness of my browser "Firefox/Waterfox". Switching back to a regular theme brings back the slowness of the browser. There is something weird about the "hi-res themes. I haven't tested my PC games while using a high contrast theme yet, I bet it's really fast.

EDIT: Didn't make my PC games any faster, it only seems to affect browsers. Makes pages load really slow, and addons like Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar opens up and closes really slow, and I have it set to open/close instantly.

Thanks for the solution -works a charm. I went a step forward and switched it back to normal theme and it still works great - at lest in my case. That high contrast does not look to appealing.

Reaction score
Sanjay Pindoria
This seems to have helped some. I am still having some issues though. I have a feeling that some of it may be my ISP as well.
REB3
I also updated my network driver too.

I'm going to run some tools like malware bytes, and Search and Destroy, Virus scan with my anti virus, and do a defragment. If the problems don't clear up, I'm just going back to Windows 7.

Reaction score
Sanjay Pindoria
This seems to have helped some. I am still having some issues though. I have a feeling that some of it may be my ISP as well.
REB3
I also updated my network driver too.

I'm going to run some tools like malware bytes, and Search and Destroy, Virus scan with my anti virus, and do a defragment. If the problems don't clear up, I'm just going back to Windows 7.

Update: Shockingly! I went back to my third party firewall. And, turned off the Windows Firewall. Guess what? Everything seems to working a lot smoother now. Who would have thunk it?

Reaction score
Reset This PC: Repair Tool for Serious Problems
I've really been sort of scared to use this feature. The way it reads you will lose all your apps (as in all your installed Third-Party Programs). That is a huge pain still yet. So now, you have to spend the next three days, trying to reinstall all your "Apps".

Reaction score
I have the same problem and found a workaround.
Open a command prompt with administrator privileges and run:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

This will disable the TCP window scaling, which can create issues if some routing equipment at your ISP is not configured properly.

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Easy fix man; I tried all these configuration changes and more and all of it did squat. I used to get 10 second delay after browser turned on, and page loaded. You need to uninstall old Windows 7 network drivers after you download new Win 10 drivers for your network adapters. Go to Device Manager, find your Network Adapters. Motherboard will usually have an Intel Ethernet Connection I217-V, or something like that. You need the PROWinx64.exe, or similar. Do this for all your network adapters.

Reaction score
If you haven't found a fix yet, disable Windows Defender and Smart Screen settings. Had the same issue, and was going bloody nuts and remembered I left those activated when I "refreshed" Windows a couple weeks back (which worked well, by the way; needs to be done anyway). Moment I did that, everything came alive again.

Before you do it though, you HAVE to make sure you have another security software app/suite installed. Most of us do, but have to say it anyway. Malware Bytes Pro has been great for me.

Go to Settings-Update & Security-Windows Defender-Virus & Threat Protection Settings.

Turn off all three options. When you exit, it should say you're still protected. I turn off App & Browser Control as well.

Windows Defender 1.jpg Windows Defender 2.jpg

Ask a Question