SOLVED All programs won't launch after august update

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a huge problem that happened on 2 of my PCs :

After the auto update of August (the one around the 9 August I believe) all my programs stopped working (and I mean all of them), they just won't launch at all!! Even the photo viewer of music player won't launch.
CTRL+alt+delete brings up a black screen! I cant even launch the task manager.
Thé Windows home menu won't work either, si I can't rien off my PC...

The ONLY thing still working us the explorer... I can't even launch programs as an admit as doing so brings up a black screen.

The only solution I round on my first desktop pc was tout reinstall Windows... But that was easy because I built that PC...
Box the exact samedi problem happens on my laptop few dans later when it installed the samedi update !!

I am si pissed right now... Is there any solution ? Restoring the pc to à previous save didnt help...

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,

Thanks for help,

I have Windows 10 home version 1607 (build 14393.1593)
My desktop pc that had the same problem was running Windows 10 pro though, not sure which version.

Thanks for your tutorial on upgrading Windows, I'll black up all my files (well I'll just remove the hdd from my laptop as all the os is installed on the SSD) but will upgrading tout thé New version majeure my loose my programs/files ?

I thinl that thé only way will ne though à bootable USB stick as my PC can't run any apps... (Not even the settings app)

Reaction score
Hi Tahititom,

let us know if it helps. an upgrade is your best option if you are running ver 1607, the current version is 1703 but the "Fall Update" is due sometime soon!. :)

Reaction score
Yes I will, I just need tout cet my hands on my spare PC ton create a bootable USB first ^^
Thanks for the help :)

I don't get it how Windows can let such critical updates basically destroy your PC whitout doing anything... I have 2 pc on Windows 10 ans it happened on both of them, I can't be the only one...

Reaction score
Don't worry, you are not alone!. :(:(:(

Sad to hear that.. :(

Well, I successfully upgrade my Desktop PC (on which I had already reinstalled windows and that was working fine) to the latest version on Windows ! :)

However things are a bit more complicated on my Laptop... well because I can't run any .exe files lol. the problem is that the "do you want to run this program?" pop up doesn't appears because of the problems created by the august update.
I tried running the windows10upgrade9252.exe from booting into the cmd prompt, which let me use the cmd prompt as an admin but when I try to launch the windows10upgrade9252.exe I get an error " this version of windows10upgrade9252.exe is not compatible with this version of windows" :(

I also tried to create the bootable USB stick but not luck either : when I boot onto the stick and run the windows installer, when choosing the "upgrade windows" option instead of installing windows all over and erasing everything I get the following message : "the upgrade option is not avaiable when booting on a bootable Windows USB drive [...] please run the upgrade program from windows directly" well except that I can't lol

I feel stuck right now, I think that my only option is to back up my files & programs and reinstall windows.

Reaction score
HI Tahititom,

if I were you, I would do a clean install on the laptop AFTER BACKING UP ALL YOUR DATA!. It would save time raher than trying to find out what is causing all your problems. ;)

Back up your data and use the recovery tool on your laptop, there should be a recovery tool included with all modern laptops, the make and model might help us!. If that doesn't work for you, create a USB bootable stick with the latest version of W10. See the 2nd part of the guide about creating bootable media:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/ :)

Reaction score
HI Tahititom,

if I were you, I would do a clean install on the laptop AFTER BACKING UP ALL YOUR DATA!. It would save time raher than trying to find out what is causing all your problems. ;)

Back up your data and use the recovery tool on your laptop, there should be a recovery tool included with all modern laptops, the make and model might help us!. If that doesn't work for you, create a USB bootable stick with the latest version of W10. See the 2nd part of the guide about creating bootable media:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/ :)

Yep I think that's what I'm gonna do ^^

Yeah my Laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y700) does have a Lenovo recovery tool! but I'm not sure if I should use this one or just use the USB bootable stick (like I already did on my Desktop PC) which already has the latest version on Windows, plus, re-installing Windows on a drive that already had Windows installed creates the Windows.old folder where I might be able to get back some of my apps :)

I'm going to try this over the next weekend,

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Reaction score
I've reset my PC using the supplied Lenovo factory reset app! that way I can keep the laptop's drivers :)

Downloading the Windows upgrade on the PC right now, I think that everything is solved :)

I hope that Microsoft will do something about the august update as I totally wrecks Win10 ver. 1607 builds (both my PCs were on this version) forcing you to re-install the OS.
I can't imagine how many users had to bring their PC to a store and pay to fix this...

Reaction score
Let us know if it works out for you and don't forget to do a full system upgrade so you are running 1703 with all the latest updates!. :)

Reaction score
Well I've done the full system upgrade so I'm now running 1703 on both my PCs, I've re-installed my programs and everything is working fine! :)

Thanks a lot for the help!! otherwise I would have just re-installed the same old 1607 version and problems would have appear again!

I hope this might help people stuck with the same problem too.

Ask a Question