All text on win 10 is light gray

Reaction score
Hi. Just purchased new win 10 Dell PC and like earlier threads from a few years ago, I'm having problems reading the text. It is light grey and hopeless to read clearly. Is there any up to date info from ms to fix this problem? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. John.

Reaction score
Fonts may depend on what fonts you are using and where they are being seen.

You could try going to settings-personalization-fonts and on the upper right, Adjust ClearType text. The windows should have a check mark and going to next will take you through a process where you answer which text box looks best to you. When you are done, it might help..

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass. Thanks but the "Cleartype" solution per Googling it was suggested back in 2016, and doesn't solve the problem. I tried it though but it didn't work. Seems it was a programming fault which l hoped ms would have addressed by now.

Reaction score
I had one system where the font was very thin and gray. On that system it did work and I can read it normally now. You might try unchecking the clear type box to see what happens.

And be aware, some changes may need a reboot so something to consider. As far as I know, Windows still uses the Segoe UI font but not all displays might use the same one. There used to be a setting in browsers where you could use your font or the one on the website but that may no longer be available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
how about giving your eyes a break and using high contrast themes with soothing green letters on black?

Reaction score
Fonts may depend on what fonts you are using and where they are being seen.

You could try going to settings-personalization-fonts and on the upper right, Adjust ClearType text. The windows should have a check mark and going to next will take you through a process where you answer which text box looks best to you. When you are done, it might help..
I have had the same problem. I didn't realize how easy it was to fix this. Thanks.

Reaction score
Same 'problem' here with my system. Hard to read the light grey text which, whatever I try, seems not to help at all.
It is a little bit better on my laptop compared to the font clarity I have on my 27-inch monitor. Sorry for not being able to help here.

Reaction score
Same 'problem' here with my system. Hard to read the light grey text which, whatever I try, seems not to help at all.
It is a little bit better on my laptop compared to the font clarity I have on my 27-inch monitor. Sorry for not being able to help here.
Here is my suggestion....
1. If your monitor and computer allow HDMI...switch to HDMI rather than VGA ....
2. Follow carefully the instructions in this link...

Using the reg edit function I changed my default from segoe to arial....
Open Word and type out a few words....Mary had a little lamb... for example....
Repeat it several times...then change the type style to a different type in each line...
You will see that Arial gives a blacker and slightly larger type size than the
current segoe....
Try a few other type styles for comparison...

Following the reg edit instructions changes the default to Arial....and on my laptop it made a fairly significant differance...
Good luck...

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion(s).
My monitor is connected to my laptop via HDMI/DVI.
I did the regedit 'change'.

If it did change, the change must be very little, because it seems that the clarity is similar as before.

Reaction score
Hi. Just purchased new win 10 Dell PC and like earlier threads from a few years ago, I'm having problems reading the text. It is light grey and hopeless to read clearly. Is there any up to date info from ms to fix this problem? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. John.
Hi just mess around in your hardware monitor settings, you should see changes.

Reaction score
Addition to what I wrote before ...
Once you do the reg edit change, also do the cleartext tweaking.
A better readable text is now available!
At least on my external monitor.

Ask a Question