SOLVED All USB ports stopped working after Windows 10 update

Reaction score
Hello!

Yesterday I installed a big WIndows update, and after that all the USB ports seems dead when Windows boots up.

All the ports are working normally in BIOS, but as soon as Windows loads they don't work. For example the light underneath the mouse stops being lit, and nothing happens when i connect different USB devices. I have tried to use all the different USB ports on the front and back.

I have tried to disable legacy USB settings in BIOS.
I can't use system restore either, since it has not been activated.

Motherboard: Asus Z270I Gaming

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you right-clicked on Start and selected Device Manager then removed all USB ports there and restarted your computer to allow it to re-detect the ports?

That may resolve this bug for you.

Reaction score
Thank you, I think that will solve it as well. The problem is that I have no way of using a mouse/keyboard to go into device manager. All I can use is the the BIOS. The USB ports also deactivates when i start Windows in troubleshooting with advanced start up options, so I can't select any of the start up options.

I've also installed the latest BIOS update, but it made no difference.

All I can think of is to try to get some old PS/2 mouse/keyboard as that port probably works, otherwise I'm forced to reinstall. It's Windows 10 Home, so I can't use remote desktop either.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yikes that makes things very tricky!

If the keyboard worked, you could:
  • Press winkey + R
  • Then in the run dialog type devmgmt.msc and press Enter key
  • When Device Manager opens press the tab key which will highlight Computer
  • Now press the down arrow to get to Universal Serial Bus controllers
  • When that is highlighted press the right arrow to expand the USB Controllers
  • Then using down arrow get to the USB Root hubs and press Enter key
  • Etcetera etcetera ...

It sure seems like you will need a PS/2 though.

Unless someone else in the Forum has another suggestion.

In the BIOS have you considered using the Reset to Default option? Just maybe that may trigger some life into the computer.

Reaction score
Have you tried to use the USB2 ports instead of the USB3 and USB3.1 ports? The USB2 ports should always
work IMHO....

Reaction score
I did not manage to solve it unfortunately, reinstalling Windows was the only solution for me in the end. I tried just about everything that came to mind, but I think the only way for me to solve it would be if I had access to a PS2 keyboard or maybe a boot CD could let me uninstall some drivers. In the end it was easier for me to just reinstall.

Reaction score
Have you tried to use the USB2 ports instead of the USB3 and USB3.1 ports? The USB2 ports should always
work IMHO....

Yeah I tried all ports and nothing. I ended up getting it to work by removing USB Root Driver from Device Manager.

Reaction score
I did not manage to solve it unfortunately, reinstalling Windows was the only solution for me in the end. I tried just about everything that came to mind, but I think the only way for me to solve it would be if I had access to a PS2 keyboard or maybe a boot CD could let me uninstall some drivers. In the end it was easier for me to just reinstall.

At least you got it working again. The USB ports did not work for me at all even after a reinstall. It would work only once after account setup, but after a reboot, USB ports would stop working again. Figured out it was the USB Root Driver and removed it via Device Manager after another reinstall. USB ports finally work again. If it ever happens again (hope not) you should try removing that driver.

Thanks.

Ask a Question