Also me...No access to Start menu

Reaction score
Hi. I see this is a somewhat common problem, however none of the other threads have helped.

I updated to 10 in August, and just last week, the Start menu and Miss Cortana are ignoring me. I tried all of the PowerShell suggestions, and rebooting in safe mode, and adding an account, and deleting AVG, and slapping the monitor. (The last one helped emotionally.)
It seemed to stop working when someone changed the display color to green (including the menu button), but I'm just grasping at straws.

Is there anything I can do short of reloading 10 again? I would rather download a new start button, unless it's not advisable.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've hit all the high points in your troubleshooting.
The last thing I might mention, is.....
I've seen some references to "Dropbox" the program, causing similar symptoms. If you have that installed and especially if it is running at startup, it might be worth looking into.

Reaction score
Thanks...I put in classic start.
We don't have any Dropbox, and no updates. The only thing I can see that was installed recently was a Adobe Flash Player 20, but I don't know if that would do anything.

Reaction score
I prefer Classic Shell - it seems more intuitive and doesn't come with all those other adware programs.

Alan

Reaction score
Classic start is free, no asking for donations and does not comes with any adware

Reaction score
Excuse my language but use a translator: If you want a menu and classical style as Windows 7 installed this shell: ClassicShellSetup_4_2_4 this shell lets you choose which components to install and is multilingual. you will see that you'll enjoy it better menu of Windows 10 that leaves something to be desired.

Reaction score
Hi. I see this is a somewhat common problem, however none of the other threads have helped.

I updated to 10 in August, and just last week, the Start menu and Miss Cortana are ignoring me. I tried all of the PowerShell suggestions, and rebooting in safe mode, and adding an account, and deleting AVG, and slapping the monitor. (The last one helped emotionally.)
It seemed to stop working when someone changed the display color to green (including the menu button), but I'm just grasping at straws.

Is there anything I can do short of reloading 10 again? I would rather download a new start button, unless it's not advisable.
In the other forums it shows how to run power shell and then a code to past in at the prompt. Before you try those make sure windows firewall is turned on. The install will not work if it is not turned on.

Reaction score
What about just taking it back to a date when it was working correctly with a system restore?

Reaction score
What about just taking it back to a date when it was working correctly with a system restore?

I don't know. All I know is I tried everything in the forums and nothing worked until I noticed one of the fixes while running said firewall not turned on. so I turned on the firewall, ran the programs like described in some of the other forums and everything is working now.

Reaction score
If you want Windows 10 functions well enough you have to format HDD and install it from scratch eleminate all the superfluous things that do not serve as all those free apps that are not used, then go to the Control Panel and select System - Advanced system panel select first button above settings - personalizazione and check the appropriate boxes - 5-7-8-12-13 - then apply and ok you will see that it will be more streamlined. sovvrascrivere as an OS always creates problems.
NB install all the drivers for Windows 10.

Reaction score
Excuse my language but use a translator: If you want a menu and classical style as Windows 7 installed this shell: ClassicShellSetup_4_2_4 this shell lets you choose which components to install and is multilingual. you will see that you'll enjoy it better menu of Windows 10 that leaves something to be desired.
http://www.classicshell.net/

Reaction score
I had an issue similar where the taskbar and cortana weren't responding to any clicks. I search and found the issue was i had some system files corrupted. The solution was to go into the Command Prompt (run as admin) and enter the command SFC \scannow. This would fix corrupted system files. Whe the problem was i couldn't get to the command prompt because the menu didn't work right of left click. So i booted to safe mode and was able to get to the command prompt and execute the command. I rebooted in Windows 10 and I had everything back.

Ask a Question