Am I naive?

Reaction score
I had always assumed that each succeeding version of Windows would be better than the last. But Windows 10 started out for me, as it did for hundreds of thousands and maybe millions of others as a nightmare, erasing programs and not recognizing drivers. Now the problem is constant updates, many of which crank on for hours without installing, forcing me to reboot several times until the computer reverses to a previous version. I'm not a computer nerd. I don't want to have to reprogram anything. I don't know how. I'm not going in to the registery either or anything else. Why must I be subjected to this kind of thing?

Reaction score
You must have missed out on the Windows 8 fun. There was also a lot of issue with people upgrading to Windows XP back in the day. It can happen with any version. I just fixed an issue I had for years with my moms Windows 7 laptop literally taking 6-8 hours searching for Windows Updates, then taking 2 hours to download and 2 hours to install them.

Reaction score
Well, I am a computer nerd, but a little elderly now. I am also P**d off with the constant updates. Since the start of Windows 10, I have dutifully updated whenever required. I have been one of the lucky users and have rarely had any problems which could not be adjusted with a minor tweak.
The bad news is that there will not be another OS, but the updates will go on forever.
I have made the decision that when the big update come along next week, I will be closing any outlets for further updates, and using my OS as such - happily.

T_J

Reaction score
None of my W7 programs were erased due to W10 free upgrade. Only W10 driver my 2012 Dell desktop needed was for a Canon printer.

My W7 programs work great in W10: Bushnell Scouting Assistant, Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Canon Printer/scanner software, Dell Stage (music, photo, video), Garmin Mapsource (Lake & Topo maps, ~ 2008), MS Office Starter 2010 (Word, Excel), Windows Live Mail (now use W10 Mail app), McAfee Total Protection.

I haven’t had any major update problems since the initial W7 to W10 free upgrade.

Reaction score
I'll be shutting my machine down prior to the 14th and will use my Win 7 PC until the dust settles. If ever?

Bif

Reaction score
Yup, I as well will be rendering my laptop dormant prior to the big day and relying on my tablet until I see the effects..Been lucky thus far, touch wood...

Reaction score
I will be doing nothing. I think my wife's new machine will be more likely to get the upgrade on the evening of the 11th as it is a newer machine ( cpu and chipset) My Insider machine already has the update and I have copied important files across to it so I can carry on even if my main machine gets sick from the upgrade AND I have taken it off the Insider program after this release.

Reaction score
I just did the upgrade. The only problem was that I have to reinstall the old Windows solitaire as All the builds since the Anni edition persist in removing them. I did a full backup with Macrium Reflect first.