SOLVED Am I running the latest version of Windows 10 or Not?

Reaction score
I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new hard drive installed on my ASUS G73SW Laptop using the Windows Media Creation Tool from a USB.

After a few trials and tribulations, the installation was successful however Windows Update ran several times over a period of days and hung up. Finally after manually restarting several times Windows Update finally says that my device is up to date.

The problem now is that I want to add some extensions to Edge and the menu item to add extensions is not there. After checking I found several mentions that the extension menu item will not be available unless the Anniversary update has been installed so I looked at my version and build number just to make sure I had the latest by typing WinVer in the command box and it indicates Version 10.0 Build 10240. Meanwhile Cortona indicates I am running version 10.0.10240.17202.

So if this is the latest version is there some other reason why the extensions menu item is not showing up under Edge and if it's not the latest version, why does Windows Update indicate my PC is up to date and how do I get the latest?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then you simply launch setup.exe from the media from within your current version of Windows to perform the in-place upgrade.
OR from within Windows 10..... You can simply double click the ISO file and that will mount it as a virtual drive, where you can select and run setup.exe to perform the in-place upgrade.
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

I would also suggest that in addition to a file backup you might want to consider performing a disk image. Just in case things don't go exactly as planned.
http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then you simply launch setup.exe from the media from within your current version of Windows to perform the in-place upgrade.
OR from within Windows 10..... You can simply double click the ISO file and that will mount it as a virtual drive, where you can select and run setup.exe to perform the in-place upgrade.
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

I would also suggest that in addition to a file backup you might want to consider performing a disk image. Just in case things don't go exactly as planned.
http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
I gave this a but was unable to get Windows 10 installed using this method. After running for several hours I got a blue screen message: "We couldn't install Windows 10.
0xC1900101-0x30017 The installation failed in the First_Boot phase with an error during boot operation. Afterwards I successfully reinstalled Windows 10 using the stock ISO on a different USB drive. This put me back at build 10240 and when I tried to install 1607 the system runs for hours with the Windows logo on the screen with the circle of dots below. The update gets as far as Working On Updates at least as far as 26% then reboots and gets stuck as I described above. After a few hours, I force a shutdown with the power button and then restart only to get the Windows logo and circle of dots again. A second forced shutdown and restart results in a message indicating "Restoring your previous version of Windows" which puts me back at build 10240 again with everything working fine except no update. Any help on this is much appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Make sure the ISO is located locally in a folder on your computer.
Uninstall any third party security suite software
Disconnect / remove any peripheral devices, keeping only your monitor, USB wired keyboard and USB wired mouse connected, no wireless dongles or other USB peripherals
Unplug ethernet cable and or disable any wireless network adapter.
From within Windows 10 double click the lastest ISO (linked above) to mount it as a virtual drive. Run setup.exe from there to affect the in-place upgrade from 10240, uncheck the box that says something like download / install updates during the upgrade.

Reaction score
Some info for me, if you will.
In your first post, did you use a media creation tool , downloaded some time previously?
If so, that could be why you version, at the end, was not the latest.
I am interested to hear the successful outcome, when you follow Trouble's advice. As I understand, fresh downloads of the medial creation tool will include the latest version of Windows 10, but I have not yet seen that confirmed.

Reaction score
Reading the original post I am not sure why one might have 10240 over a year since it was superseded with the mandatory updates on W10.

Reaction score
This didn't work either. I made certain everything was disconnected and ran the setup.exe from a local folder. The system ran as before and got stuck with the Windows Logo with circling dots near the end. I actually let the system continue to run overnight just to make sure it didn't just need more time to complete. After my previous installation was restored this time I got the message "We couldn't install Windows 10 0xC19000101-0x30018. The installation failed in the First_Boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation. This problem started when I replaced a failed hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB created with the Media Creation Tool but it is likely old. I tried the current Media Creation tool on a different USB however the installation failed as described.

Reaction score
Do you have an optical drive?
If so, remake the ISO on a DVD and try it. I think the advanced part of the installation is losing the remaining parts of the installation on the USB. Alternatively, if you are able, make a small extra partition on you HD and expand the ISO to it - run the install from there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
From what I can find regarding that particular error it seems to be tied to some third party software (anything from Security Suites to Cisco network management and VPN software) or .....
In some cases a particular hardware component and its' associated software / driver package.
I'm not sure where to look first, but I've been reading that even clean installs via upgrade / keep nothing don't resolve the issue.
I think, if it were mine, I'd do a disk image https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Wipe the drive (with diskpart -> clean), of all partitions and give Windows 10 a shot at a custom clean install in the "like new" unallocated space.

Reaction score
I have attempted the install from an ISO on a DVD but I've tried this so many ways now that I don't remember exactly what indications I had when it failed so I will attempt it again. Meanwhile I did try creating a new installation for USB with the Media Creation tool. When I attempted to install this time I got an error message indicating some drivers were missing and this didn't occur before. During these unsuccessful installation attempts, I always delete any existing portions from within the install program and just let Windows 10 install in the unallocated space. Is that the same as diskpart-clean?
Thanks to all for your help with this persistent frustrating problem.

Reaction score
I've made several attempts to install a newly created ISO from a DVD today but so far none were successful. Nothing was connected to any of the ports on the laptop. The fist attempt got stuck in the Installing Updates section with the progress bar approximately 75% across the bottom of the screen. After waiting at this point for 2 hours I mannually shut down the system and started over. This time it has gotten as far as Finishing Up and been sitting in the same place for 3 hours. Could some kind of hardware issue be causing this? Strange that I am able to successfully install an older version of Windows 10 consistently but not the latest.

Reaction score
Trouble's suggestion is the best way.

Save personal data files.
Download and make a USB of the latest Windows 10
Ensure your machine can do a cold boot from USB.

Completely empty the machine of all disk partitions.
Do a complete install from a naked machine.

Reaction score
I followed Troubles suggestion verbatim including cleaning the drive and wiping out all partitions but the update still gets stuck in the finishing up stage. I attempted this both with a newly created ISO on DVD and again with a thumb drive. I'm currently back at version 10204 which loads perfectly fine but will not update using Windows Update either. This is very puzzling.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I followed Troubles suggestion verbatim including cleaning the drive and wiping out all partitions but the update still gets stuck in the finishing up stage.
At this point it is no longer an upgrade if you've followed my posts it would be a custom clean install.
There are any number of stages during the install where it might appear to be hung or frozen, especially near the end. All I can suggest is give it time and be patient, it could conceivably take hours. Does your computer have a hard disk activity light? Are you able to observe if there is any on-going activity?

I can not explain why your computer can run 10240 but will not install 14393.
You apparently missed the November update to 1511 (10586).
Is it possible that the computer may need a BIOS update to make it compatible with the latest version of Windows 10?
That would be a weird one, if it prevented the install, rather than running the install and then exhibiting problems afterwards

Reaction score
I just checked my BIOS, it is dated 2/10/2011. The ASUS Website shows a version dated 2/23/2011 for my model G73SW. I can't imagine that would be the problem but I don't mind updating it just to be sure. I should note that before I changed out the hard drive I was able to add extensions to the Edge browser so shouldn't that mean I was running at least the Anniversary Update at that point?

During the many failed attempts at performing a clean install, I have allowed the system to sit untouched overnight with the Windows logo and circle of spinning dots on the screen. There is no apparent hard drive activity (no flickering lights) after at least 7 hours. Could some type of hardware issue such as faulty memory be the culprit?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't imagine that would be the problem
Me either. At this point, I'm pretty much grasping at straws.
Could some type of hardware issue such as faulty memory be the culprit?
I would expect that if there was any hardware issues (except possibly a hard disk issue) that you would be getting errors of one sort or another, not just the install hanging at some random point without pitching some error information of some type.

Reaction score
After having no success in getting the latest version of Windows 10 to load on my ASUS laptop, I decided to write to ASUS Support and get their take on this. Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support, my name is Donovan. I do hope you are having a wonderful day today.

I am very sorry that you are having this issue with the device. I understand how frustrating that can be, but I can definitely help in resolving this issue for you.

Based on my checks I am not seeing where this unit is compatible with windows 10. According to the announcement of Microsoft, there are system requests and hardware limitations in upgrading to Windows 10. As a result, ASUS has formalized a list of all the supported models and can be viewed on the ASUS website for referencing at; http://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013416/

While Windows 10 has limitations for both system and hardware based on the announcement of MS, other reasons why selected model units are not on the list of supported models may be due to compatibility and efficiency related issues after the upgrade to Windows 10, as a result ASUS suggest that you do not upgrade to Windows 10 based on model units which are not on the supported list.

We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know, we will be more than happy to assist you.

I wrote back and told ASUS that I've been running Windows 10 for over a year before this problem with not updating occurred and that I am running Windows 10 now just not the latest version. The thought occurred to me though, is it possible that the November update has something in it that pushed my laptop beyond it's ability to run Windows 10? Are previous versions of Windows 10 available anywhere so that I can try downloading and installing the August 2016 update? I'm certain that I was running at least the August version before I replace the hard drive.

Reaction score
It is hard for me to keep track of current situations in a thread such as this. So, for my info, you are stuck on 10240 and cannot update? Does the OEM have Win 10 drivers for your system.

If so, I would disable the Bluetooth in the Bios if you have that capability. If not, disable it in Device Manager or even better, uninstall it and all drivers by checking the box.

If you are running an IDT sound system, you might want to disable it also.

Then attempt to fix 10240 by running the normal utilities, which has probably been suggested. The System File Check and DISM using the RestoreHealth switch may help.

But basically you have had problems with that system ever since Win10 was released. In my experience, the more recent updates are going to make it even harder for that system.

What I would do is take the current hard drive out of the system and replace it with one for testing. This way you could install and see how the system works with the latest version. If it won't operate normally with a clean install, you don't have much hope.

Ask a Question