Another Edge browser?

Reaction score
I have just discovered an Edge browser available on the Windows Phone Store. From the details provided there it looks quite substantial and interesting ---- but having installed it and run it, it is not at all like the Microsoft Edge browser I have on my Windows 10 Tablet PC.

Surely this has potential for some confusion, especially when Microsoft Edge becomes available on Lumia Windows phones, presumably in December with the expected public launch of Windows Mobile.

I am curious as to how this new browser came to be named Edge and what the response of Microsoft will be.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Most phone browsers default to their "mobile" version and will look slightly different than their "desktop" version.
I would be very surprised to find in the "Store" app any browser called "Edge", that wasn't actually the Microsoft Edge Browser.
I'm currently running the latest build of Windows 10 mobile on my phone and it has Edge installed as the browser.
I'll have to wait until my wife gets home with her Windows 8.1 phone to check and see if I can figure it out.

Reaction score
I am fairly confident you will find the Edge currently on Windows Lumia phone (W8.1) has no connection with MS Windows. I see no mention of MS or Windows, no Windows logo and the developer is 'bulowstudio.com'.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're absolutely right.
I saw it on my wife's phone.
Very weird.
Apparently it's free, so they may end up with a lot of installs, with people thinking their installing Microsoft Edge browser.

Reaction score
Yes, as you say, weird and quite likely to cause confusion. I have examined it further and found an acknowledgement that it is nothing to do with Microsoft. Actually it seems to be reasonably OK, quite original, professionally done and designed for a small screen. I have signed up for their 'Windows Newsletter' and will see if I can get some explanation of the name choice from them. They are based in the UK (as am I).

Ask a Question