Another w10 2nd PC problem

Reaction score
I have a HP 5610 printer successfully connected to my PC. I am trying to use that printer with a second PC also on W10 through the Homegroup. In the second computer, I can find the printer and set it as default. When I print something on the second computer, the dialog box shows the document printing. However, it is not printing and I cannot delete it. Moreover, the print spooler starts using more than 50% of the CPU. If I disable the spooler, then I am also disabling the printer. Suggestions please.

Reaction score
suggestion uninstall that printer from the 2nd computer and try and reinstall it. I helped me out. you may have to copy your printer file from the computer that it works on to the other computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might have better luck if you configure the printer on the problem machine to use a local port.
To do this you might first want to go back to the computer that is hosting the printer and un-share it and then re-share it using the advanced sharing button. Avoiding the whole HomeGroup thing altogether.

In the interest of keeping things simple and easier to configure keep the share name brief and without spaces, something like
"HP5610" should work nicely.

Now that you've shared it and we know the share name.....
You need to also know the name of the machine that is hosting the shared printer.
Hopefully that is also brief, succinct and free of spaces..... Something like "MyPC"
So now we know that the port name will be
\\MyPC\HP5610
Now over on the problem PC that needs to access the printer across the network....

Right click the problem printer and choose "Printer Properties" from the middle of the context menu.
Select the "Ports" tab
Click the "Add Port" button
Make sure "Local Port" is highlighted and
Click the "New Port" button
Enter the port name as established above
\\MyPC\HP5610 (where MyPC is the name of the computer hosting the shared printer) AND (HP5610 is the name you gave to the printer when you shared it.)
The two backslashes preceding the "network path" and the single backslash separating the host name from the share name are critical, as in \\HostName\ShareName
Click OK.
Make sure that the check mark now appears in the new local port path that you created and click OK again.
See if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your interest in my problem. When I create a new port on the computer not connected to the printer, after entering the port name, I get the error: "user name or password is incorrect". I would think this is the error message for logging in? any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WOW.... this printer sharing is getting harder than it was back on XP.
To get rid of the access problem try this....
Back on the computer hosting the printer go to
C:\Windows\System32
Scroll down to the spool folder
right click it and choose properties.
Share it.... Permissions tab -> Full Control -> Everyone
See if that works.
IF not, then you will have to go back and use the Security Tab to Add the Everyone Group and grant them full control there also.

Boy I'm glad all my printers are either wireless or have a network card so I can just use simple TCP/IP printing.

Reaction score
See if that works.
IF not, then you will have to go back and use the Security Tab to Add the Everyone Group and grant them full control there also.

Boy I'm glad all my printers are either wireless or have a network card so I can just use simple TCP/IP printing.

Thanks again for your efforts but still no luck insetting up a new port.

FWIW, on the computer with the printer, the port is: DOT4_001. Under devices and printer, I now see a second computer icon for the location of the second computer. So computer one can see the second one. But I still cannnot set up the new printer port. I have a print job stuck in the queue. Previously, I could empty the queue by running the printer troubleshooter but not now. I even recycled the computer down and up again, but still no joy. I am going to sleep on it. Good night.

See if that works.

Last edited:

Ask a Question